• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training.

Hey everyone,

I'm very interested in Martial Arts, but don't really no where to start...

I have a few Bruce Lee books and training guides as such, that's a start I guess... But I would just like to know how some of you guys build up your speed, strength, techniques, what equipment you use and how you got started.

Any help and input that I get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Toby.

PS: Where I live they don't have Martial Arts schools or instructors, so I kind of have to try and learn it myself, which makes it hard. Is it possible that I could train myself?

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well you might be able to learn it yourself...depends on how intuitive you are at it. I would think however it would be very very difficult. I also find it hard to beleive theres no instructors where you live. As to training...generally its pretty basic. Start by stretching, get warmed up by doing punching or kicking drills, do some falling (not recommended without someone that knows what they are doing watching you), do some forms or one steps, do some sparring, cool down at the end.

Long Live the Fighters!

No worries,

Thanks for that tufrthanu I appreciate what you have said...

I will start practising what you have suggested, all I have been doing at the moment is push ups, sit ups, riding on an excersize bike, rowing machine, dumb bells, bench press, and using a bull worker (or something similar to it). I'm also getting a punching and speed bag soon as well.

I guess I should just practise more and more, and I should eventually get better.

Thanks again, Toby.

PS: As for there being an instructor here, there use to be... But not anymore.

Pineapple makes a good point. Even if you have a YMCA or Community center near you sometimes guys teach there. I don't suppose you are near Port Augusta, Whyalla or Tumby Bay?

Long Live the Fighters!

Nah, Port Augusta is the closest and that is about four and a half hours away...

Even the gym we have here is now closed.

Oh well, I'm getting a punching and speed bag soon. :)

OK Toby...just remember its very important to learn foot and hand positions as well as techniques before you start hitting stuff full force. I would recommend go easy on the heavy bag til you at least get the basic foot and hand positions in your mind.

Long Live the Fighters!

Hey everyone,

I'm very interested in Martial Arts, but don't really no where to start...

I have a few Bruce Lee books and training guides as such, that's a start I guess... But I would just like to know how some of you guys build up your speed, strength, techniques, what equipment you use and how you got started.

Any help and input that I get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Toby.

PS: Where I live they don't have Martial Arts schools or instructors, so I kind of have to try and learn it myself, which makes it hard. Is it possible that I could train myself?

Do not hurt yourself!

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!

Do not hurt yourself!

Thanks for your concern h2whoa, but I think I'll be fine... I've endured pain all my life (more so than some people), so basically I'm used to it.

:)

I think with enough dedication you could be a great fighter even though you are self trained. I have met quite a few impressivly good fighters that were self taught. It helps immensly to have someone to train with.

"I am your judge, Executioner, jury, Executioner, lawyer, prosecutor, and if necessary... your Executioner"