• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Daniel-san/Chozen fight

I recently saw Karate Kid II and thought the final fight between Daniel and Chozen was cool, but at the same time realistic. Like the part where Daniel attempted to use the crane kick, Chozen simply caught his leg and pushed him down. The two of them also got bloodied up and tired during the fight--something that would happen in real life. Aside from the ending--villagers rallying around Daniel by playing those "drum paddles?"--I thought the director did his homework in presenting Karate realisticly. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^agreed

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

Personally I'd like to know what happen to Daniel after 3. See a middle age Daniel teaching some kid about karate & passing on the legend of old apartment super who could break support beams with his bare hands, leap over fences to drop 4 younger, stronger & faster black belts like they were made of paper & easily be one of the most dangerous men in the world. Yet, refused to fight unless it was life or death & forgave even his enemies because it was honorable.

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!

I never bought into the karate kid-mythology: dweeby-kid overcomes loneliness and victimhood by mastering a magic-no-defense technique. It insults winners and also-rans by discounting the hard work required by all who want to participate in competition and in life. Nope, there are no short cuts, even for dweebs with no talent but a heart in the right place. I suppose my view is a little too harsh for Hollywood fantasy. My bad. I'm only on my first cup of coffee.

Nope, there are no short cuts, even for dweebs with no talent but a heart in the right place.

I guess it can be viewed that way, but I don't think that was the intended message, or the message most got from the movie. Daniel put in a lot of hard work and showed a lot of perseverance to defeat cocky and arrogant opponents.

Really, its the "Cobra Kai" that were taking the shortcut, learning nothing about the philosophies or "art" of Martial arts, and simply learning how to fight.

True, the short time in which Daniel was able to progress isn't really consistent with that when you think about it, but the movie presents it in a way that shows he basically ate, drank and breathed karate for the period in which he trained.

Certainly the message is that hard work and balance are the preferred route, and that shortcuts are not the answer. This was even stated several times when Daniel wanted to learn "more" stuff faster.

i always loved the last fight in kk2. infact, a friend of mine was recently in bali, and managed to find and buy one of those drum paddles thing. looks just like the myagi one.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu