• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My punching Bag and Kumite

Doug

I inherited a punching bag from a relative a few months before i began training, and until then it was largely untouched. I don't know what weight it is, but it was filled with rags and was pretty useless trying to do more than one powerful punch or kick before it swung wildly away. Not having the benefit of discoveriing this site i found some hardcore group on the net that advised it to be filled with saw dust. So i did this, it has been a great help as I can't punch it wrongly full power without my hand knowing it. However it still swings wildly after 1 or 2 punches and comes back at me with more momentum than ever. The lower area has become super hard with gravity compacted saw dust and only chudan and jodan levels remain punchable. I was wondering whether i should refill it with something else, maybe attach a cord to the bottom to the floor to help stop the swinging.

And the reason this isn't in the equipment section; I don't feel the bag is any real sub to kumite practise in the dojo, all the strikes in the world aren't going to block opponents punches. I know hitting the moving bag is also good for aim and timing, i just need some more blocking practise at home.

(Sorry bout the big post,once i got started...)

There is a fine line between genius and insanity, I walk that line

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have a few 100 pounders that occassionally get bottom heavy.

First thing - don't keep it up all the time. Take it down when it's not in use - and rotate whether it's right-side up or upside-down when you store it. This will help keep it even.

To fix your current bag, try taking the bag down - roll it around on the floor and work out the settling by stomping on the clumps. This works pretty well for my bags.

As for the swing - you won't get as much swing with a 100 lb bag, but you should get some. I like the swing personally, it helps with bobbing and weaving.

And wear Handwraps and gloves, if it's hurting your hands when you hit wrong, it's hurting when you hit right. It's just gonna take longer for you to notice. Protect your hands or eventually you won't be able to hit anything.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

blisters will be the least of your concerns ;)

Buy some good hand wraps, the 15' ones, not the everlast 8' ones that most sporting goods carry.

The Penguin's right. Longer wraps are much better for your hands.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton