• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wado Kai Karate?

IronWarrior

I always wondered what the similarities between Wado Kai and Wado Ryu were, if any. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

I did practice Wado Kai very briefly as a child. I was probably 7 or 8 at the time. I dont recall much about it other than lots of pushups and situps. As a kid, I didnt see the value in these activities and expected to be flying through the air doing fancy kicks right from day one. I lasted all of a month, if that.

Now flash forward 10 years. I was still facinated with martial arts, and since I was never remotely interested in traditional sports, I decided it would be something to seriously consider again, mainly as a form of physical activity. I ended up walking into a random dojo (out of many, many dojos in this city) and was hooked from day one. I now hold a 3rd Kyu Brown Belt in Shotokan, and am still loving it just as much (if not more) than I did when I started.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wondering...I knew someone who received rank in Wado Ryu but is not in Wado Ki...Any relationship or was this some "new" kind of style thing? I suppose I am asking is there a Wado Ki and if there is is there a relationship. :-?

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Wondering...I knew someone who received rank in Wado Ryu but is not in Wado Ki...Any relationship or was this some "new" kind of style thing? I suppose I am asking is there a Wado Ki and if there is is there a relationship. :-?

There is no style Wado "Ki' .. Only Wado Kai and Wado Ryu which are the same thing... Somebody could be teaching Wado Ryu or Kai and calling it Ki 'for whatever reason I dont know.lol' but sometimes people for some reason create 'off shoots' of styles and they end up being basically the same style..

Thanks for clearing that up. I always wondered. The guy received rank in Wado Ryu many years ago, changes some katas and, from what I understand added weaponry techniques and kata and other arts such as Aikido and Judo to the system... Apparently it is his own creation... Such is life. Thanks again

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Thanks for clearing that up. I always wondered. The guy received rank in Wado Ryu many years ago, changes some katas and, from what I understand added weaponry techniques and kata and other arts such as Aikido and Judo to the system... Apparently it is his own creation... Such is life. Thanks again

So he's basically a 'Wado Ryu Karate blackbelt' that has trained in some aikido and judo? I'd like to know if he has permission from the Wado Ryu and Kai federation in Tokyo,Japan and also the JKA to do that?lol! I doubt it! I also beleive the traditional Katas e.t.c of a 'pure' system should be left alone, but you can still give your students a option and offer aikido classes, judo if you have enough knowledge in those arts to teach it as part of a seperate curriculum.

Permissions? Don't know. Everything is incorporated into the system at some level (probably hafter shodan---but I am not sure. It's been a long time and I don't stay in touch. I just read bits and pieces every now and then. As for pure systems, there are variations on kata even within systems and between teachers. I believe that he got rank in Canada by some high (really high) ranking guy. One of the conversations between him and the high ranking guy was "I was not taught the kata exactly like that" The way that he saw another student do it. The high ranking guy said someting like it doesn't matter it's the technique used. After that point he changed some kata to suit himself. I'm not saying that it is a bad things either. Many masters adjusted kata based on student ability in the way back past. Even such kata as Jion (which I know is done in Wado Ryu and that this kata is the most similar to the one that I learned I hear) has tons of "versions." Itsou learned it (changed it???) taught it to a variety of people who became masters of their own styles and most of them changed the kata (since each of the students from Itosu that moved on to form their own styles) and show different versions.