• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chivalry!?

Here is an interesting point.

Lets say you have a boyfriend and your boyfriend was getting whistled at by some girls..what would you do??

When you put water into a cup,it becomes the cup.When you put water in a T-Pot,it becomes the T-Pot..be water my friend!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time changes, World changes, 'Chivalry' changes...

Being a gentleman doesnt consist of bowing gently in the presence of a lady, or throwing down youre cloak over a puddle of water. You dont go slap someone with youre glove when you want to challange them to a duel anymore...

Chivalry changes in accord with the rest of the world, lifestyle's always changing - and it boils down to what you adopt as being 'corteous' e.t.c

But how do you decide what stays, and what goes? If you want to be old fashioned, why dont you go slap the guy and then beat the living pulp out of him?

[ This Message was edited by: Jiggy9 on 2002-04-03 10:31 ]

Shotokan Karate Black Belt

==Defend the path of Truth==

On 2002-04-03 02:41, van_damme wrote:

Here is an interesting point.

Lets say you have a boyfriend and your boyfriend was getting whistled at by some girls..what would you do??

This girl would probably laugh and be happy that her guy is so attractive. :razz:

I am with Patrick and KickChick on this. Also Prodigy-Child, I don't put on a charming face just for a girl I like, I am just me, which thankfully most of the time is "charming", hehe. You'll do better if you just act yourself, you'll relax more and make better conversation. I'm sure you'll be just fine either way. :smile:

Chivalry, it all boils down to the charming little things, like opening doors, not laughing at another's misfortune, going out of your way to help others, offering your chair, etc. etc. But you don't just have to do this for women, its just good manners to do this for everybody. When anyone insulted my ex, I'd always be the first to have words with them, and that was it, just have words. Often though she wouldn't even want me talking to them, in which case I would respect what she desired and not have a go at them. If anyone had layed a hand on her though I would have used whatever force necessary to rid of them.

Basically, have a little respect, don't treat your girl as if she's a defenceless baby but do stand up for her if you so wish. But don't go starting fights for her, thats brutal and thuggish. Be the better man and deal with things calmly, and she'll admire you for it. :smile:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

Ahh, well said, Jack!

If your one of the youngest and can have this much sense, surely the 'elders' could have a small fraction of it.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Two months ago I would have been one of the first people to retaliate with violence and hit hard to do damage!

I regret the times I have retaliated with violence, you do get a bit of a reputation and I feel quite ashamed. I get more satisfaction out of laughing at them and looking at their reaction. It's the last thing they expect..

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

The person gets away with a verbal insult, then he gets away with more, then his friends do it, then he grabs her arse, then he slaps her, then he rapes her... It's like climbing a ladder.

It's called the snowball effect. Words first obviously, but words at least - a shove too, but no walking away. Assert some authority and urinate on that tree! (did that once when i was drunk to assert my dominance on a certain chair - nobody went near the chair after that. In fact i think they burned it!)

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

On 2002-04-03 03:43, Jack wrote:

If anyone had layed a hand on her though I would have used whatever force necessary to rid of them.

A few years ago, me and my girlfriend at the time were at bar and she got her "backside" grabbed. I was absolutely enraged!!!! :kaioken:

Here is where I fight with myself.

I am feeling my blood boiling up inside me and I want to beat the living pulp out of this guy, but even though I was enraged I could still slightly rationalized that it's not appropriate and can cause alot of problems after the fact. So being very much aggravated and not wanting this guy to get away with that, I walked straight up to him and grabbed a hold of his "backside" and asked how he liked it? Oh, how I wanted him to swing, but he didn't. He backed down like a fightened little child. Later on my girlfriend and I got a good laugh out of it and no one got hurt.

That poor guy probably thought I just got out of jail and I was going to make him my *****. :wink:

take care

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

Just as in the old children's saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me," words, no matter how offensive, usually do not warrant an attack to which you may physically defend yourself. A few states do permit defense against offensive words if they are used against a woman.

US law permits a person to defend him/herself, but a person may also defend another person or persons. The other persons may be family, loved ones, friends, or even complete strangers.

Most US states permit a person to defend another person with all the force that the other person would be allowed to reasonably use in his/her own defense.

When determining the reasonableness of the force used, the law will look to any non-violent alternatives, if any, available to the defender at the time of the incident. Non-violent alternatives may include such things as yielding to the assailant's verbal insults, backing away from a fight, refusing to engage in mutual combat, or other somewhat humbling actions. Some states permit a defender to "stand his/her ground" and not yield to an assailant.

A martial arts practitioner should always do everything possible to avoid a confrontation. If a person enters a violent self-defense situation he/she could have reasonably avoided, the courts may hold the person legally responsible.

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan BlackBelt TKD(ITF)

CardioKickboxing/Fitness Inst.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-04-03 08:45 ]

I just hate these type of question. Its like asking me "Is there a god?" or "Whats at the center of a Charm's Tootsie Pop?" or "Why do you keep talking to yourself?" I don't know. Nobody knows.

Back to the topic. Its safer to just to think what you might do if someone threaten a love one, than it is to ponder the consequence of actual confortation. The dude might have a gun or have friends near by or might come back after you by waiting out the bar door. If nothing has esculated, just better to act cool and walk away. However, half the time I'm not thinking so all of this common sense won't do me no good. :karate:

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.