• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

boots or shoes?

If you had to get steel toe boots or shoes which would you get? And why? Im asking cause i thought about getting some in case i ever needed to defend myself. I know there is alot more effectiove options, but i just realized if i ever wanted any kind of kick to affect some one, it was time to trade in my regular tennis shoes for something a little harder.

Im thinking steel toe shoes. Cause wouldn't boots look wierd with shorts?

arent your kicks effective? if you dont have any faith in yourself, even with a sword you wont be able to defend yourself against an unarmed attacker :P

train to be effective WITHOUT shoes, then work up to normal wear, then uncomfortable shoes- you will see you will want to avoid anything heavy or uncomfortable when you go out. :karate:

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I would say or ask, what are you comfortable with, shoes or boots? The perference should be yours.

If you are a good or average kicker, you don't need them at all. Just be effective with the kicks you use.

Sigung White

34 years in the Martial Arts, Certified Police Trainer. Member of the Professional Karate Commission, IAOMAS, Fist Law Society, Director of the Molum Combat Arts Association and the MLCAA Honor Society

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree that most people will never have to defend themselves....

I've never looked for fights but when I was younger in school I got in 2 without wanting to.

But if you are smart and don't go looking for trouble its true, you will 99 percent of the time not have any troubles.... but you never know.

All the best,

-tom

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree, choosing footwear almost soley on maybe getting into a fight is a poor reason, unless you work or live where it's higher in the probability scale. Not to mention, even steel toe shoes look funny w/ shorts :wink: . My recomendation for an effective shoe for self defense and also not drawing attention in most situations would be the Sketchers dress shoes. bit more weight, good sole, plus stylish. Another option, depending on your wardrobe, cowboy boots. The toe on those concentrate a lot of energy and that is one solid heel. As for the neigborhood kid, forget him. Avoid the fight. If he's trying to pick one it's not likely that he's just going to try stomping you. He's probly just trying to put air into a deflated ego.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

I say go for the boots first. if you know that he isnt there anymore then go for the boots. after he comes back, put on some hard rubber-soled shoes. you will feel alot faster and more powerful. :kaioken: hard rubber hurts just asbad and is lighter than steel. trust me, iknow from experince.

• 3 weeks later...
If you had to get steel toe boots or shoes which would you get? And why? Im asking cause i thought about getting some in case i ever needed to defend myself. I know there is alot more effectiove options, but i just realized if i ever wanted any kind of kick to affect some one, it was time to trade in my regular tennis shoes for something a little harder.

Im thinking steel toe shoes. Cause wouldn't boots look wierd with shorts?

After reading this thread, I have to agree, chosing your shoes based on a possible fight is kind of immature. With that said, would you wear sandles to church? Boots to basketball? Cleats to tennis? Dress shoes to the beach?

I wear dress shoes to work. At work, I'm most concerned with the way that they look and how comfortable they are. When riding my motorcycle I wear boots because they protect my feet, and the oil resistant soles are needed to keep me safe on slick roads (oil is nasty). At home I'm bare foot, and the rest of the time, I wear what goes with the way I'm dressed, usually tennis shoes, loafers, or cowboy boots (every get kicked with a pointed toe cowboy boot, can you say ouch??)

well should it matter you should be ready to defend yourself wearing anything even naked :lol: but seriously take that into consideration

HAHA. I would feel so friggin' weird fighitng naked :lol:

-Ray

-Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body.

-It's Not The Size Of The Dog In The Fight, But The Size Of The Fight In The Dog.