• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yokogeri Keage

cluelesskarateka

Hello all, this question goes out to everyone, though is only really relevant to Shotokan people.

Whats the point of Yokogeri keage(side up/snap kick)? Because i've been looking at it lately, and in the lower level kata's it's almost as common as the front kick, but seems infinitely less useful.

Answers anyone?

It's not what style you train, it's how hard you train - My Sensei

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as my knowledge goes, all yoko geri keage kicks were mae geris in the original pinan. The were changed by Funakoshi Yoshitaka in the 2nd generation Shotokan.

The kick itself is not as bad as its rep. Although it's not as brutal as the mae geri, it's has a slightly higher range (jodan) than the kekomi version (mostly chudan). Targets throat/under chin.

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

As far as my knowledge goes, all yoko geri keage kicks were mae geris in the original pinan.

It depends. There are some yokogeri in Okinawan Pinan-kata, depending to school (kan).

The kick itself is not as bad as its rep. Although it's not as brutal as the mae geri, it's has a slightly higher range (jodan) than the kekomi version (mostly chudan). Targets throat/under chin.

Think about it as a low block/sideways sweep to the kicking leg or front leg. Touching point can be the whole outside of the shin. That'll open the application nicely.

Chatan Yara no Kusanku also has yokogeri keage originally, used in combination with a yokobarai uraken.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

if ur talking about yoko geri ke age (rising side kick), where the leg is essentially swung upwards (as opposed to plain old yoko geri which comes out from the body (bad description) and is what i assume u mean by a snap kick) then its not a kick at all, its a stretch. i dont do shotokan, but kyokushin is very similar in many ways so i would have thought yoko geri ke age would be the same technique for u as it is for me.

(haisoku uchi mawshi geri ke age and teisoku soto mawashi geri ke age are also stretches)

if ur talking about yoko geri ke age (rising side kick), where the leg is essentially swung upwards (as opposed to plain old yoko geri which comes out from the body (bad description) and is what i assume u mean by a snap kick) then its not a kick at all, its a stretch.

Different thing. Side stretching (yokogeri no undo) is done by swinging the leg, but yokogeri keage is a side snap kick (well, that's the common translation for the name). It can be found in a couple of older kata as well. Common bunkai is a low sweep sideways or a groin kick under the attacking leg after a lateral parry/foot catch.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Are you talking about side snap kick??

If that's what you are talking about, the main purpose of the kick is chin attack. This kick is very usefull when you are able to kick it high to the chin.

A kick to the chin? I prefer to use this kick to attack the side of someone's knee or their lower ribs. It is next to useless above that level, as are all kicks other than the round kick.

We are not talking about the same type of kick.

The side snap kick that I was talking about can't be used to attack side of someone's knee of lower ribs due to the movement of the leg.

However, I am not sure the kick that I was talking about is Yokogeri Keage, That's why I put question mark.

A kick to the chin? I prefer to use this kick to attack the side of someone's knee or their lower ribs. It is next to useless above that level, as are all kicks other than the round kick.

I don't see how it is useless. How about you stand there and I kick you in the chin/neck with it? :)

Of course you're thinking that you wouldn't just stand there, but after a few strikes, a joint manipulation, probably some balance displacement it's a *very* handy kick to know (same with the 'useless' mika zuki geri).

For lower regions, the yoko geri keage isn't bad (see a variation of Tekki Shodan), but my fave is kekomi geri because it doubles as a nice knee blow.

just my 1c (was 2c before tax :D)

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

About kicking to the chin, if your opponent is standing straight/naturally it won't work, because the trajectory(sp?) means it will contact with the chest first. As for if they're doubled over, i see no point in using this rather than kingeri. What I'm trying to understand is why change a maegeri to a yokogeri keage, as everything you can do with a yokogeri keage you can already do with a maegeri.

It's not what style you train, it's how hard you train - My Sensei