• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD and Aikido  

21 members have voted

1. 1. TKD and Aikido

• TKD and Judo
    • TKD and Aikido

i currently cross train with TKD and Shotokan. I find they work well together as they have pretty much the same basis, however in TKD we work on kicking a lot more than in Shotokan, but in shotokan i learn a lot more hand techniques, so currently that has 2 ranges.

personally i would like to take up a weaponry art and a grappling art, my shotokan sensai also teaches Combat Hapkido, Tenjin-Ryu Jiu-Jitsu and weapons (Zanshin Kbudo) and if time was not such an issue i would probably do the hapkido and kabudo as well

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hapkido would go better since they have TKD kicks and the grappling u are looking for, as well as some hand strikes

I agree, Hapkido is a very good flow through from TKD. In my school our head instructor likes to integrate hapkido into alot of our self defence techniques and I have found (compared to other tkd schools in my area) that our self defence techniques are alot more "street appliable" than many.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

i find that judo doesnt have the same outlook on kicks as TKD so that would be awkward if you like tae kown do.

and Aikido will teach you mechanics for grappling, but if you want an art that allows you to hit your opponent, dont go for Aikido.

Hapkido has hand strikes, TKD-like-kicks(which its their main weapon) and grappling(just what you were looking for), it is also good for self defense.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

In my opinion, Judo goes well with any form of MA - though Ive never taken TKD....it's good to have a background in groundfighting and the throws are very effective in self-defense. Just keep in mind that it's probably a lot different than what you are used to.

• 2 months later...

I am sure it would be no surprise to people to see that I voted TKD and Aikido!

I think they are great together.

I would not be able to do one martial art many times a week as some other people do.

My martial arts is hopefully going to last a lifetime and as such I need variety.

TKD and Aikido are so different that they are exactly what I have been looking for (oh, and the kickboxing as well, but that was not on the vote). :D

TKD and Aikido are very different arts,you will have to try both Judo and Aikido to see which one you like , this is best.

But if you did want to train in both you will have to find a way to integrate both with out conflicts, an example is TKD has wide stances, in Aikido stances used are ones that are very easy to move in and have good balance so a stance like say a deep stance or horse stance would not be suitable in most Aikido techniques.

In fighting TKD might go for a straight punch one hit kill attack but in Aikido you might be told to do a Tenkan (turning exercise) and finish of with a ie kotegaeshi, this is stressed because you are very vunerable behind, if you try to take out someone in front of you a tenkan turn gives you a sight of your surroundings and you can use your oponnent as a shield or projectile.

These are just little things but if you do it then you can choose what you like and what you dont like,even make your own style.

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.