• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD and Aikido  

21 members have voted

1. 1. TKD and Aikido

• TKD and Judo
    • TKD and Aikido

OB beer? Haven't heard of that one... Quick, to the brewery! LOL

I'd say judo would be a fine addition to tkd. I've enjoyed the combination quite a bit from the little judo I've done.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did Judo long before I did ITF TKD and I find them too dissimilar, like doing tennis and golf. Why not augment your TKD with Muay Thai? This way there's a little overlap and enough diversity to make your training interesting.

I did Judo long before I did ITF TKD and I find them too dissimilar, like doing tennis and golf. Why not augment your TKD with Muay Thai? This way there's a little overlap and enough diversity to make your training interesting.

I think I liked it Because it was so different. It took me out of my comfort zone and forced me to look at things in an entirely new way.

:)

I think I liked it Because it was so different. It took me out of my comfort zone and forced me to look at things in an entirely new way.

I hear what you're saying, but would like to point out that since judo and tkd are also sports with strict definitions as to how points are awarded (in competition), aren't you still in the same comfort zone? At least with aikido, you are practicing something that truly isn't a sport. My recommendation of Muay Thai, while also a sport, is that it allows you to take your TKD striking skills to levels unknown in TKD- it's like entering the family mini-van into Death-Race 2000.

I hear what you're saying, but would like to point out that since judo and tkd are also sports with strict definitions as to how points are awarded (in competition), aren't you still in the same comfort zone? At least with aikido, you are practicing something that truly isn't a sport. My recommendation of Muay Thai, while also a sport, is that it allows you to take your TKD striking skills to levels unknown in TKD- it's like entering the family mini-van into Death-Race 2000.

I understand where you are comming from as well, and it is a valid point. However, I feel that the two arts are different enough and both can be practiced at a high level of intensity against a resisting opponent. I'm also not as familiar with Aikido as I am with Judo so I cant make a statement as to how training is done in Aikido and the level of intensity in it's training.

Nothing against Aikido in any way, it's a fine choice for a second art.

I've never trained in Aikido either. I'd like to learn more about it someday. From the looks of it, the training intensity of aikido probably wouldn't satisfy a judoka.

I think it depends a lot on where you are training.

I have been to some Akido schools in my area that did not impress me. Big fat instructors with attitude - unrealistic stuff.

I trained for a while with an Akido brown belt (he had been practicing for 10 years strait and was a brown belt) in germany who was much more impressive then some of the 3rd, 4th, Dans I have seen around in the US. Very intense training and realistic.

If the only Akido that I had seen was the stuff in my area, I would say the same thing as you said.

I have to go with Judo, primarily d/t having some experience with it and not w/ aikido. From a practical standpoint though they are so different that they cover many of each others weaker points. As for the theory that they are "sport oriented" and therefore not as easily applicable, they are both "Martial Arts". They were designed to hurt people in a combative role. Even sport based arts can do severe damage when applied properly.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.