• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ready for test?

I know a sensei wouldn't invite a karate-ka to test if he didn't think the karate-ka was ready to test, but how do you, personally, know you are ready? My sensei has invited me to test and while on one hand I trust him in this matter, on the other I'm not sure I feel ready to test. I have a lingering injury that makes me slow and lack power. I think this is taken into account, but I'm just not sure if I feel ready. How do [/i]you know you are ready?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok, this was my last situation in July. I was not ready to test (in my opinion). But everyone thought I was (including my instructor). So I went for it. I failed. I knew deep down inside that I wasn't ready. BUT I re-tested last weekend and I passed with flying colors. Go figure.

I can see if someone isn't ready or doesn't feel ready, like me. That's fine. But there is a point where you wait TOO long. That's not good either.

The best thing is, talk to your sensei. If you don't feel ready, talk to him and tell him why. He might be able to give you advice. Specially with your injury. Let him know what's going on.

Laurie F

I can relate...well...second handedly.

Myself I've got my green belt, and after a few years off training thanks to a car accident i'm back...but my girlfriend has her black belt now, and has for a few years. When she was told that she would be testing for her belt, she was more than nervous, anxious, and felt she wasn't ready for it. She did however, trust our sensei, and others in the class, who all supported her. She ensured to work twice as hard as usual *which to start with was a pretty solid pace anyways*, and even the day before her test, she was still unsure.

It wasn't until she stepped out of her house on the day of the test that she realized that she was as ready as she woudl ever be, and as a result of that, she began to understand how well she'd prepared for the test.

Her confidence was boosted, and she spent a very good portion of the day in the test itself...and got her belt.

Sometimes other people see in us what we cannot see...with people like your sensei, have trust in their judgement....part of what they are there for is to show you what you are truly capable of...even if you don't initially believe it yourself.

Think before you act, but act before it's too late.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3535/siggydemo58lq.jpg

(Images aren't allowed, but if you want, take a peek for yourself ^ )

Sometimes other people see in us what we cannot see...with people like your sensei, have trust in their judgement....part of what they are there for is to show you what you are truly capable of...even if you don't initially believe it yourself.

Exactly....and sometimes it is hard to convince yourself of that.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

how do you, personally, know you are ready? [/i]

There's a really simple answer to this one.

It's just sport, twice or three times a week. If you're not hopelessy uncoordinated you'll pass. Good luck btw!

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

Hindsight is 20/20.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Just Do it! Are you ready to defend yourself if you get attacked on the street? Injury or no Injury, it wont matter if that time ever comes.. Apply that attitude going into this grading do your best! regardless, no excuses e.t.c... Karate is about improving oneself, you will just learn alot more about yourself in the end.. Now just do it! Good Luck..

If you don't feel you are ready, keep training and training and make sure you know everything until you feel confident that there is no way you can fail that test. If you have any doubts before you take the test-then you aren't prepared for it.

When two tigers fight, one leaves wounded- the other dead.

When I was about to go for 6th dan, I was nervous. It was a 90 minute examination. We had to choose 2 kata of our choice and after that SIX rounds of sparring. I passed, only just, but i was prepared well.

6th Dan - Ancient Kung Fu Karate