• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt System

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most Japanese martial art systems (karate,judo etc) use belts. Some chinese systems are now adopting the belt system aswell.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

Just out of curiosity, which martial art systems use belts to determine your level of skill? Thank you!

Belts are a measure of achievement, not skill. Hence the perennial arguements about which schools are better than others, and the relative worth of a black belt.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

i do agree with using belts but the system sometimes goes wrong because you have people who suck but are brown belts. i dont know why the main person aloows this to happen. i am currently training for my brown.

hagabuga

Kyu rank & dan grades should only be rank for the school you train at, otherwise unless a static skill test & requirements are made at systematic levels belts are just cloth. Rank is only an opinion.

Personally I think skill should mark your progress not time served or money paid. But that would pit allot of people out of business.

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!

• 1 month later...

I found that sometimes the problem is that some people see the Black belt as the ultimate prize instead of what it is...a starting point and therefore relate all other bests to that understanding. Belt rank is subjective anyhow. Black belt pretty much means knowing enough to begin learning. It should not matter that any one belt be better in kumite than all or a majority of belts under them. Actually, there are many people without any formal martial arts training that can defeat a lot of modern day masters in a fight. Does that mean that the modern day (and I am talking about respected) masters are not worth their rank? Of course not. There is more to martial arts then being able to defeat your opponent. First rule is not to defeat yourself. IMO

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Hi Guys,

Most martial arts use a colour system of some sort. Generally as stated, these are most chinese, japanese and korean systems. BJJ and some philipino systems also use colour systems.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.