• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weapons training? TKD

When I was in my last session I saw a yeloow belt with 3 stripes using the chucks and seemed good to me (no experience) and really looked cool :karate: . At what rank do you start weapons training and what weapons are availible? I could ask My teacher but I feel I will get a more realistic answer on here.

Thanks.

white belt w/stripe (9th gup) SBD

Orange belt TKD

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
When I was in my last session I saw a yeloow belt with 3 stripes using the chucks and seemed good to me (no experience) and really looked cool :karate: . At what rank do you start weapons training and what weapons are availible? I could ask My teacher but I feel I will get a more realistic answer on here.

Thanks.

TKD doesn't do weapons as a part of the art of TKD...period. This discussion has been had many times on here.

however, there could be two options.

1. Your instructor has been formally training in another art otherthan TKD and is passing on his knowledge of weapons to you.

or..

2. Your instructor has never taken any formal weapons training and is passing on misinformation to you and the other students.

Unfortuantely, it has been my experience in watching numerous (but not all by any means) TKD dojangs/instructors that #2 is usually the case. Whgat I would suggest is talking to your instructor and asking him where he learned his weapons techniques. If he states he is "self-taught"..then beware, as you most likely will not be learning anything really worthwhile in the way of weapons technique.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

[

TKD doesn't do weapons as a part of the art of TKD...period. This discussion has been had many times on here.

ATA TKD does weapons, we have a standardized curriculum, certification courses and prescribed methods of teaching.

We do ssangh jeol bangh (Nunchaku), bangh mangh ee (Escrima), Jang Bangh (Long staff), sam dang bangh (3 sectional staff), ssangh Nat (Kama), jee pangh ee (Cane). Our high ranks at HQ are also taking instruction in the sword and developing an ATA curriculum for that. It should be completed in a few years.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Interesting. I'll have to keep my eyes open for an ATA affiliate and check it out.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

WOW cool so does ATA let you start right away or is there certain belt you have to be?

Generally each school will structure it differently, it's something you should ask your instructor.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

WOW cool so does ATA let you start right away or is there certain belt you have to be?

Most ATA schools teach weapons to students that have committed to training beyond the basic level. It's a perk, so to speak, for making that training.

And we do not teach you weapons with the goal of making you a weapon expert. We simply want you to be knowledgeable about the weapon. Think of college: TKD is our major, and weapons are elective courses that support the major and make us well-rounded martial artists.

Awsome! I spoke to my teacher and he said I can start somtime soon but he didnt specify what belt I can start at , all he said was I can start as a colored belt. Havent decited what weapon to go for but Im going to do some more research and see whats the most interesting to me.

See yall later.

white belt w/stripe (9th gup) SBD

Orange belt TKD

Awsome! I spoke to my teacher and he said I can start somtime soon but he didnt specify what belt I can start at , all he said was I can start as a colored belt. Havent decited what weapon to go for but Im going to do some more research and see whats the most interesting to me.

See yall later.

Do you have an option?