saishu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone out there know the Hakutsuru no Kunemura kata?

i've seen parts of it , and there is a DVD by Gorge Alexander i just don't feel right buying it and try to learn it from tape , kinda disrespecting my sensei, when the time comes he will teach me, if you got a clip upload it please.

What I was wondering about is, is Kunemura No Hakutsuru a real kata? I have been doing some research and I haven't found any reference for it before George Alexander. I talked to my Sensei about this kata and he thinks that it was made up to turn a quick $. Just wondering if anyone knows the history of this kata.

Merry Christmas.

John

I study the Ryu Kyu Hon Kenpo (Okinawa Kenpo) of Master Seikichi Odo. Hakutsuru kata is part of our system. I am in the process of studying and researching the history of this kata. Will post another reply when I find some solid history and facts.

Hakutsuru kata is part of our system.

Do you know which Hakutsuru kata is in your system? I am kind of keeping tallies now on which flavor of Hakutsuru is in which systems. Thanks bro.

JM

Goju-Ryu has it, but it's a really advanced kata

I didn't think you guys had it. I thought your kata stopped at Suprainpei (Perchurin).

John

it stops at tensho I think. I asked my sensei if we had it, and he said yes , but it's for advanced people.(just not sure at what level it is learned)

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

According to information that I have hakutsuru was originally a part of Naha-te and later Goju-ryu. Then, it stopped appearing in Goju-ryu curriculums.

In my style, we have relearned this kata from Shorin-ryu sources and teach it as a part of our system.