• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate schools and their point fighters

Prodigy-Child

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i love how the first 2 post were actually responsive, like i said iron have you ever seen tradional bare knuckle ippon kumite? or even sanbon with our paper thin pads? that one blow (we go full contact to the body, around medium to the face) would determine the fight, and we dont stop and wait for yame we stop when we hear yame... that is if we know what were doing.

Ask any point fighter out there and ask them to describe point sparring, and they will all say it is a glorified game of tag. It builds more than just how to fight though. It teaches speed, balance, hand-eye coordination, and many other things as well. We learn how to fight and defend ourselves in the dojo. There are full contact tournaments which we can enter, but I feel I learn more from the point sparring then the full contact. And yes, I was in full contact, so I know what it is like.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

I have been to a couple of point tournaments won some lost some. Had some battles with some really big men. The punches were very hard and had it not been for conditioning. I would have been hurt. Been side kicked clean out of the ring. I found nothing soft about it. Its harder to keep them kicks above the waist then to through low rounds to the legs. Although they are very effective they have there place.

though they are very similar, trying to compare point sparring to continuous is like comparing a 100m sprint to a 800m run. they are both running both are both totally different. I do combined martial arts; therefore i have done both karate (continuous/kumite) and i also do grappling.....and i could argue pros and cons for each of them! u of all seem to be arguing a different point.....!!??!!

yes u can get adrenelin in point sparring:

yes u can get extremely injured in point sparrig:

yes u are an athlete if u do it (hey!, they call sumo's athletes dont they!!)

it totally depends on what u want to get out of kumite: personally i just think it is alot of fun....if u dont like it...dont do it....but dont critizize it...

alot of the kickboxers criticise it.... but having done kickboxing for three years along with bjj grappling i could argue the point that yes u may have stamina but a grappler would take u done any day of the week!!

:karate: if u enjoy it.....do it!!! all the styles have their own advantages ...so take them n have fun peoplzzzzz!!!

boo!

In a sense yes...but if the ref is doing his job, you shouldn't get the point unless you throw a good technique. ***** slapping someone doesn't get the job done and therefore should not get a point.

Ask any point fighter out there and ask them to describe point sparring, and they will all say it is a glorified game of tag

Daniel

Shodan with Shotokan Karate of America

• 1 year later...