• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate schools and their point fighters

Prodigy-Child

fighting in the full contact kickboxing continuous sparring circut ive come across alot of point fighters...........i had to oppurtunity to go to a karate class with a bunch of point fighters, it was kinda boring and i saw that karate has become very diluted in the point fighting circuts

i personally do not like point fighting alot, and my coach HATES it..........he keeps telling the canadian kickboxing/continuous team that he does not think point fighters are real athletes...........

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tell him to go spar with Horoshi Kanazawa (All Japan Champ 3 years in a row and 10th Dan)and see if that changes his mind :smile:

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

my coach happens to be a black belt in karate. he got it when he was about 14 years of age. he himself was a point fighter up untill the age of about 17 when he took up boxing..........he then later started kickboxing on his own. he knows the competitive fight game VERY well and is one of the best kickboxers in the world.

he just does not feel that point fighters are real athletes.... point fighting is one thing......kickboxing/continuous sparring requires a higher level of physical conditioning

-Chris Rock

I prefer continuous sparring, since there's less interuption in your match. I like to keep the adrenaline going! HOwever, learning how to point fight is not a bad idea. It will improve your continuous sparring. Point sparring lets you look for openings. Since you break after a point is scored, this gives you time to think what you did to score the point or what your opponent did to allow you to score the point. When you're fighting a continuous match, you won't remember all the kicks and punches that were thrown. Point sparring lets you examine each kick or punch that was thrown, thus helping you better understand your sparring.

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-04-01 19:28 ]

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

I personally do not teach or practice point sparring with my students. Unless I have some who wish to compete in a tourny. I feel point sparring will get you hurt on the streets. There are not TO's and Refs to stop the action.

When we spar we wear shin guards, and gloves, We work at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full speed. Depending on the day. The only time we stop action is after a take down or a person seems to be stuned. Now let me point out you can NOT do this with beginners. We teach control all the time.

I have no doubt that the great Martial Artistis can win a lot of fights with point sparring but I am not one, nor are 99% of those who train. I am a big guy (6'1 315lbs) I am not going to win many point tournys. No one can tell me that a punch to my chest is going to score more than me kicking therre leg. I've done full contact and if you ever fight a true Thia fighter you don't want nothign to do with many leg kicks. LOL.

Point systems are nice to teach for tournys so no one gets hurt but by no means do I think a karate school should use them as the only sparring practice.

[ This Message was edited by: G95champ on 2002-04-01 22:27 ]

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I compete internationally for karate (kata, and kumite) and let me tell you ive repeatedly heard the stopping after a few techniques argument and its bogus, i have seen enough kids with broken noses from a well timed jab, and more broken ribs from a single reverse punch then i have knock outs in proffessional kick boxing matches. my kumite coach used to kick box professionally. theres a difference inbetween traditional karate point fihgting (can sweep grab etc etc etc) and this open tourney tag stuff going on. and anyone who would accuse anyone who trains for a specific sport of not being an athlete regardless of the sport, doesnt understand the meaning of the word.

athlete

n : a person trained to compete in sports [syn: jock]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

P.S. i was just at 2 tournaments in japan got back yesterday, i watched 3 of my friends from the national team recieve concussions or contussions on their jaws from single techniques.

I do both, point sparring usually when Im in class, and continuous sparring after class with some of the senior students in my dojo or in a kickboxing ring.

Personally; I enjoy continuous sparring more though I do disagree with alot of the criticisms made about point sparring.

Continuous fighting probably does require more endurance, and allows a much more fluent fight. I agree - because so many times in point fighting a pathetic feather punch manages to brush my chest, just as i see a big opening which would garuntee me 2 or 3 points (depending on the system) and the fight gets stopped because of that 1 point move. Here the opponent gets the point, in continuous sparring, the opponent would pay dearly for that.

However I do think that point sparring can help to teach a fighter more - after every succesfull move, he/she gets the oppurtunity to break down what happened mentally and figure out their mistakes or the opponents flaws. Gives you a few moments to perhaps figure out youre next major combo... Alot of the time, in that small break you feel the pain and fatigue much more then you would have done if you kept on fighting - often it takes alot of determination to keep going from there.

I think both systems have their advantages, and both enhance the fighter in different ways; if possible - I think you should try to do both.

Shotokan Karate Black Belt

==Defend the path of Truth==

point fighting tactics are good but only in point fighting. alot of the guys i fight continuous and full contact with are from point fighting backgrounds and they told me they had to unlearn alot of the tactics because it was hurting them in the full contact arena, they would be fighting and they would land a really good cross or a good side kick and they would stop because in the back of their mind they think that its gonna stop but it doesnt, they ended up getting rocked........they told me it took them about 2 years to un-learn......

-Chris Rock

I've haven't been in any tournaments or done full contact yet. We do none or semi contact continuous sparring when training and alot of people, well probably most people especially the younger members, don't seem to understand that taking a shot to the ribs means that you can't throw the punch you were about to, you know what i mean, because they don't feel it they just carry on like nothing happened and are pleased with themselves when they get a shot in that would not have been possible if you had made contact.

It seems to me that a strike or kick to the solar plexus would stun anyone long enough to finish them off unopposed.

Anyway, my point is that point fighting IMHO probably forces people to realise that if you take a hit to a vunerable place you have no choice but to stop, because in a real fight you would probably be on the floor bleeding.

[ This Message was edited by: chris luckcuck on 2002-04-03 04:55 ]

Point fighting developes bad habits, which will get you creamed. The conditioning is not existant in comparison to other ring sport.

Although I do find it entertaining that people are quite theatrical about getting "hit".