• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A somewhat comical dilemna....PLEASE HELP!

Okay, I am faced with a couple of dilmnas...these all arise from one major upcoming event in my life...

I am soon to be married to a beautiful wonderful woman!

http://www.easternstorm.net/photos/thesaj/engagement

Not only is she beautiful, but she's just shy of one board break of being a black belt in TKD. I am merely a green belt, in a different style...thankfully...the style I have studied "Ketsu-Ka" incorporates elements of Judo, Aikido, and Ju-Jitsu. Thus my plan is if any conflict arises to take her down and grapple (on the bed preferbly). ;)

However, more frightening is the fact that the Sensei of the dojo she studied at, a 4th degree black belt happens to be her mom! Does anyone have experience with having Sensei's for MILs?

*lol*

Anyways, actually, the real issue is that I will be relocating from Connecticut to York, Pennsylvania and there are no schools of my present form in the area I am moving too. I love the grappling style arts. TKD tends not to have much in the way of these. So I have two real questions:

a) if anyone knows of any schools in the York, PA area that teach grappling arts? b) issues of "divided" loyalties...(will many instructors allow you to study two different forms? might I take TKD & Ju-Jitsu? I notice many masters will often list 2-3 or more forms or variants. So I doubt it truly is an issue. And yet there seems to be so much tenacity against studying other forms concurrently on the part of many Sensei's?)

Looking for an art to study...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 1 month later...

Firstly, I hope that was merely a clever joke about what to do if any conflict arises. If that is really a concern in your mind, you are not ready to get married IMO. Please don't take that the wrong way, especially if you were only kidding about that. I do not wish to seem rude but I knew my wife for 7 years (including a 4 year engagement) before tieing the knot just to be sure we were on the same page concerning several major issues. And how we would handle arguements/fights was definitely one of the main issues. I am a BB and my wife has never studied MA but she never worries about violence and we have never had a physical fight.

As far as the MIL goes, hopefully she is a person who respects the privacy of two adults and will not complicate things or influence her daughter too much.

For finding a school, maybe try doing an internet search and then just start calling places. That's how I found my Muay Thai instructor last year. Since you are a green belt, I suggest going with the same or similar style as your last MA (or at least one of the 3 substyles you mentioned) so that more of your training transfers and you won't go back to basics all over again. I agree with most instructors that it is more difficult to try to remember two different approaches at the same time so I would do only one style to start. Then switch or add another later (if the instructor is ok with that). My instructor has BB's in 4 different styles but I think most do them one at a time.

If you get pretty close to your wife's rank, it will be great to have a live-in training partner. Hope you find a dojo soon.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

hahahaha, I dont really know any advice to give, but i just wanted to say that first part was funny to read but also congratulations on getting married! Hope you two have a wonderful life together.

Focus

• 1 month later...

Happy to hear that. Hope you have a wonderful life together. I have found some JKD Concepts school for you. They should include grappling to.

USA Pennsylvania Longhorne Michele Thompson 215-741-7041

USA Pennsylvania McMurray Don Garon 724-941-4900

USA Pennsylvania Newtown Jeff Jones 215-962-8780

USA Pennsylvania Pittsburgh Steve Bodnar 412-793-8602

USA Pennsylvania Pittsburgh Hal Deily 412-734-5254

USA Pennsylvania Pittsburgh Lani Mustin 412-429-8884

Since I live in Germany please forgive me if I gave you adresses that are far away from your home.

Greetings and good luck,

Peter Klein

Be everything. Be nothing.

Oh, just remembered, if you do insist on taking more than one martial art, i recomend thatyou take ones that are more different than alike. This is because you can get confused. My sensei was told "the hunter that chases too rabbits" story before even though it was hsi sensei who recomend he take the second martial arts. Just saying you would most likely be more happy doing one thing/living on life, but of course, the oppostite is then true if wha ti said is true.

Sorry, if thats a little confusing, just know that in some way, whatever you do is correct and a good idea.

Focus

• 3 weeks later...