• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many Kata's till sho dan (1st degree) in your system.

I don't know how to search these forum that well yet, so if this topic has been covered, forgive me. In the company that i work for we are making changes, most of them for uniformity. Currently you need 10 kata's to achieve sho dan. I was wondering what your style is, and how many kata are required for 1st degree in your system. oh and as a side, do you have a formal test for your belt, or does your instructor decide when you are ready and then one day, grants you your rank

place clever martial arts phrase here

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our school (Shotokan JKA) it is the instructor that decides if you can test for black belt. You talk to him when you think you are ready or he will ask you. Our instructor wants us to know the 15 first kata before we can test, but the test requires "only" 9.

We do have a formal test for the shodan examn and we have to take it at the Honbu-Dojo, not that our instructor is not able to graduate to shodan, but we just do it this way.

May the force be with you... Always

In our dojang we have to learn a total of 21 by the time you make 1st dan. These come from three different family of forms, including Korean, Japanese, and Chinese forms.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

That's alot of forms. We learned about that much in Goju Ryu you include kumite, bunkai, and kata.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

In our system (which is a hybrid of TKD and kung fu), we learn all 8 Taeguk forms and two chinese forms (one bo, and one empty hand) before BB.

We do have formal testing for red belts (going for seniour red or high red) and BB's. We have to know all 10 forms, 10 step sparring, 10 combat tactics (love these ... lots of elbows and knees hehehehe), and 20 defensive tactics (defenses against various graps using Chin Na and takedowns). Plus basics, breaking, and sparring. This is what I have to do tomorrow, that is (I'm going for seniour red).

Laurie F

13 "non blackbelt" kata's

1 additional "blackbelt" kata requirment for shodan

This does not include the weapon kata (traditionally taught simultaneously) required for the same rank in Kobudo.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

To test for first degree in our system:

9 forms

5 sets one step combinations

6 sets sparring combinations

basic weapons handling

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player