• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pads

Armbar

wow.....Thanks for the replies.....lol.

In what ways do you use them? Do you use them in line drills (such as one person takes a turn, then goes to the end of the line so the next person gets a shot)? Have you used them in partner drills were one karateka holds the pads and you drill techniques for a few minutes at a time, much like boxers or kickboxers? Do you generally go full contact when you hit the pads, or do you use them simply to give you a target to strike? Do you practice hands, feet, elbows, and knees?

Sorry to bombard you guys with questions....lol

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe that focus mit training helps speed any, but one thing it certainly helps is the concept of punching through a target and controlling the arm after having done it. It teaches very well the idea that tensing on impact is a bad idea, and that instead you should punch through and use that "focus" crud to stop your elbow from hyper extending after you blast through the focus mit.

One thing I did once and enjoyed was hanging a focus mit from the cieling in my basement and then setting it up swinging. Trying to hit the flat surface as it went by spinning around was very challenging and good timing practice.

• 2 weeks later...
wow.....Thanks for the replies.....lol.

In what ways do you use them? Do you use them in line drills (such as one person takes a turn, then goes to the end of the line so the next person gets a shot)? Have you used them in partner drills were one karateka holds the pads and you drill techniques for a few minutes at a time, much like boxers or kickboxers? Do you generally go full contact when you hit the pads, or do you use them simply to give you a target to strike? Do you practice hands, feet, elbows, and knees?

Sorry to bombard you guys with questions....lol

We usually partner off and do some kicking/punching drills. We go full contact. And we don't usually practice the elbows and knees, mainly just hands and feet.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

focus mits yeah, but thai pads? what are they? and how can you practise with stuff like that out of class, i dunno bout you guys but i dont really have a willing partner at home.

There is a fine line between genius and insanity, I walk that line

In Japan kickboxing has had a big influence on the training methods of full contact Karate schools. Virtually all use thai pads just like a kickboxing gym. Kyokushin rules fighters also use a full body shield which is like a wall of foam that the partner holds around him making him something like a moving punching bag.

I dont think traditional schools do this kind of training though.

I think Thai pads are the most valuable training tool for power, technique and stamina.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

We use them to do two-minute drills in pairs, full-contact - hands, feet, and elbows, depending on the specific drill and depending on the kinds of pads.

We set up "stations" and pair up. Each station uses a different type of pad, which has a certain function, target and technique(s) to be used, 2 minutes at each station, then rotate. It's a great cardio workout and perfect for full-contact training. It's one of the best tools for getting yourself in "fighting" shape in my opinion.

We use focus mitts and thai pads. Kicks, punches, elbbows, knees, shins... we use them all. Generally one partner holds for part of the class then we switch. We'll also hit full force on the pads. Better on the pad than on me right? :wink:

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare