• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just curious to get an idea of the type of movement emphasized in each respective style represented around here. :) When you throw a lunging punch (in Karate oi-zuki), does your style emphasize a linear surge of power from the back foot through the hips and into the forward hand (with the body falling forward in a nearly straight line toward the target) or do you emphasize a greater left/right twisting of the hips, such that your centerline actually changes direction? I have noticed the former being more characteristic of Japanese/Korean styles, and the latter being more characteristic of Chinese/Okinawan styles. The former attempts to utilize the power of gravity and the hip muscles, while the latter attempts to utilize the natural torquing power of the circle. Does your style block the same way it strikes? Which method of movement to you prefer/find to be more effective? I find myself using circular movements more frequently in close quarters for striking, and using linear movements over longer range for striking. Almost all of my blocks tend to be circular, which is natural for me as a Shorin-Ryu student since Okinawan styles more closely resemble Chinese (gung fu) movement than Japanese styles do. Don't really know if one method is "better", but just interested to see what is actually used.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI...The style I practice we dont have a lunching punch so I cant say anymore about that.As far as blocking we use both linear and circular movements.The way we use power in blocks is from correct structure of the human body to absorb his energy and returning it back to him.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

Well....that is an interesting question to which I've actually been giving a lot of thought lately...I think when I start new students out, I tend to emphasize the linear aspects of a punch first, while for certain defenses, I emphasize the circular aspects first.

As the student progresses, I begin to show them that all techniques have aspects of both, and that this need sto be incorporated...

My latest take on it is that "A circle is a straight line and a straight line is a circle."

In Goju Ryu, movement initiates from the waist, the arm goes out, begins its turn, and then is assisted by a push of the heel, and a twist of the wrist.

In many ways though, it seems that some styles allow the arm and the shoulders to be the forerunner of the technique and then further supported by the waist and then the feet.

In Taijiquan, we are relaxed. No double planted of feet. We strike with the whole body using a coiling effect, which starts in the center of our body, around our waistline. It is, in effect, a more relaxed version of how I did it with Goju Ryu.

Also, we use the snap back of the waist upon impact, which creates a whip effect with the waist and if you are relaxed, and your body is properly positioned, and you are in sung, with root, then you will emit jing, or do what is called fa-jing. This take a long while to develop.

Those are my two cents...

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Msot compelte traditional styles, use linear, rotation, snap/whip, pushing, lifting, vibrating, etc etc etc in differetn techinques in their system.

I think it is a misrepresentation, for example, to say, 'goju-ryu is circular, while shotokan is linear'. They are both circular AND linear. If anything, the styles are different in the way they teach begginers, and this mihgt be the reason they are perceived as those. Very few people become true experts in more than one art, so they tend to compare 'begginers' perspectives of different arts'. If you look at true masters of supposedly 'linear' and 'circular' arts, (for example, Sensei Morio Higaonna, and Sensei Nishiyama) you'll see that they look very similar in their movements, and they should as they come from the same place and want to arrive at the same place. It's comvergent evolution.

Osu!

gero

---

Nidan-Traditional Shotokan

• 1 month later...

then again, boxers also have the benift of having gloves on, not to mention that they get hit an awful lot during a match.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

ufc figthers block like boxers (not exactly, but you know what i mean), and their gloves don't help at all, believe me. you see a hook or cross coming in, you just absorb it with your arm tucked tightly to your head like a helmet, its not a problem. you block it with your arm half a foot from your head, believe me, youre getting hit.

Edited by TheAnimal

Just curious to get an idea of the type of movement emphasized in each respective style represented around here. :)

When you throw a lunging punch (in Karate oi-zuki), does your style emphasize a linear surge of power from the back foot through the hips and into the forward hand (with the body falling forward in a nearly straight line toward the target)

---> Our facing punch(looks like a reverse punch) is done this way. There is no sensation of falling towards the opponent, a centering balance is always maintained. The stance combined with body connection drives you through.

Do you emphasize a greater left/right twisting of the hips, such that your centerline actually changes direction?

---> That would describe our side punch. This has a quick sinking motion into horse stance. When done correctly the waist rotation & stance sinking generates a lot of power into the fist(vertical).

Does your style block the same way it strikes?

---> We emphasizes controling the bridge on contact so there are both kinds. Hard punishing linear & soft whipping blocks when taking angles.

Which method of movement to you prefer/find to be more effective?

---> Both you can't separate them.

Don't really know if one method is "better", but just interested to see what is actually used.

---> What I use depends upon the situation. The opponent has a weak bridge I'll go with hard strong movements to smash the arms to break through the bridge. If the opponents bridge is stronger I'll use a soft bridge to sneak in.