• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this good or bad?

Is marketing karate or martial arts to children via a toy or hobby store, sending the right message about learning without proper guidance?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is marketing karate or martial arts to children via a toy or hobby store, sending the right message about learning without proper guidance?

• Yes, without a doubt.
    • No, not at all.
    • Only the future will tell.

Black Belts Karate Kicks Home Studio

"This 30-minute video makes learning karate a kick!" - quote off of the box I seen at the store last night.

The set includes a 30-minute video, inflatable heavy bag, floor mat for foot placement, a black belt, and a training DVD or VHS.

The instructions on the box give mixed signals to those truly interested in learning Karate.

What are some other comments about this type of marketing Martial Arts to the public merely for propaganda purposes?

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's called "manufacture and sell anything that people will buy" and it's part of living in a capitalist and free society.

Of course as martial artists we don't like it anymore than a plumber likes the "do-it-yourself" plumbing books at Home Depot.

On the flip side, the "do-it-yourself" plumbing book may actually benefit the plumber, because he gets to come out and fix what you screw up. And the "do-it-yourself" karate kit may give a child a teaser but leave him unfulfilled. Obviously it's crap, just like the martial arts self-instruction videos that have been available for years in Black Belt magazine.

If it's popular, maybe it will increase interest in martial arts for children overall.

I agree with what you are saying. I believe that video training is good for reference, or in addition to live training. It's not a replacement for a well trained instructor.

And yes, it seems that everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon of making money with little effort, and much exploitation.

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

I believe that video training is good for reference, or in addition to live training. It's not a replacement for a well trained instructor.

quote]

I also agree with this statment. Also videos and action figures (Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes: GI Joe) nurtures the seeds of curiosity, and makes learning a game. ANd the next step would be that first class in a real TKD or Karate uniform. It's a good thing.

-Adam :)

I just wouldn't want kids to have some sort of false hope after learning the "basic of karate masters"....

lol

I've seen the product in question before. When I did, I took a quadruple take when I passed it. I don't like it. To get a black belt, takes, or at least should, take as much time as it does to get a bachelors degree... it's like saying "become a psychologist with this 30 min video. Kit includes tape, notepad, and diploma (artificial of course)"

I realize that the product IS NOT advertising that kids will become black belts with this kit, but that is the notion it could instill in children.

I guess it's good if it gets kids interested, but too many kids nowadays are too lazy to say "hey this is fun, I want to join a real class". The worst case scenario would be that kids believe that they know karate from this video, and want to use it, and will start fights as a result.

I realize my view is slightly pessimistic, but some things need to simply remain on a personal level.

But honestly; a child cannot learn martial arts from a video, let alone a 30 minute video. Only someone with prior martial arts experience would be able to take something away from video lessons.

But if I am wrong, I'll be happy to admit it.

Steve, you are not wrong.

I would only hope that parents would have the common sense to tell there kid this video is for fun. Mabe some would buy it as some sort of intro to what they might learn in a real dojo. I've seen the video in question, and the uniform. What I didn't like was they were also selling a re-breakable board. Now I'm sure it was a level 1 (white) board, but who is holding it for the kid and what teq are they to use with out the propper training? It is only natural for kids to want to check things out, parents as well. Can you immagine the lawsuit if something goes wrong? Toys are good, but the re-breakable board should not be in the toy isle.

I think "MartialArthur" nailed it - it's easy to dismiss it as something entirely bad, because one most certainly CANNOT learn the martial arts from a video or book - I tried that, then when I started to train for real I found out how little the videos helped when I found myself on my back on the mat staring up at the grinning black belts in my school. :lol: But the possible positive effect it might have is that it could generate enough interest in those who buy it to get them to train for real.

I've often asked the same question about martial arts movies - they don't depict our art realistically at all, yet I would not have started training unless I had first grown interest in learning more about the martial arts because, primarily, of movies. So the movies did have SOME positive impact.

DEFINITELY don't like them including a "black belt" though, that hands down sends the wrong message about what the priority in one's training ought to be... that's definitely a "McDojo" (parents will buy their kid the kit just so they can have the belt and say they're a black belt + companies know that = money making scheme)

I've often asked the same question about martial arts movies - they don't depict our art realistically at all, yet I would not have started training unless I had first grown interest in learning more about the martial arts because, primarily, of movies. So the movies did have SOME positive impact.

Yes! Bingo! And that's the only way you can look at this type of thing, or else it will just tick you off. And as for the black belt.....anyone can buy one of thoes nowdays. I've got 8 of them in my closet, granted I've earned them all and most don't fit me anymore, but they are a dime a dozen. OK $20.00 each........ :roll:

-Adam :)

I think "MartialArthur" nailed it - it's easy to dismiss it as something entirely bad, because one most certainly CANNOT learn the martial arts from a video or book - I tried that, then when I started to train for real I found out how little the videos helped when I found myself on my back on the mat staring up at the grinning black belts in my school. :lol: But the possible positive effect it might have is that it could generate enough interest in those who buy it to get them to train for real.

DEFINITELY don't like them including a "black belt" though, that hands down sends the wrong message about what the priority in one's training ought to be... that's definitely a "McDojo" (parents will buy their kid the kit just so they can have the belt and say they're a black belt + companies know that = money making scheme)

Yep!

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!