• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does anyone have any good training methods for practising the Overhands. I have not got a heavy bag yet, all I have got is a striking shield and a pair of Focus Mitts. I searched the net, but have found nothing so far. Just curious...what drills do you use on the Focus Mitts for Overhands?

I was thinking of getting my partner to cross his arms over and hold the mitts in an "X" formation, but then the pads would be close to his ears and I would not want to risk scrathing them.

Thanx for your responses.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 3 weeks later...

After starting MMA, I still say that I'm not a fan of overhand hooks. Mabye it's because I do kung fu also, but I like normal hooks for a quick, power punch, and our "sau choy" forearm strike for a overhead KO punch.

From what I know the overhand hook isn't meant to break a guard, which is why I don't like it. Plus mabye it's just me, but the way you position your shoulders when doing an overhand hook is a little discomforting and unnatural.

My 2 cents,

Peace

I don't think either the Overhand Cross of Hook are meant to break guards, just come over or around them. When I use them, thats my intention anyway.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

The way my instructor holds the pads is with his left facing down and the right facing up, at about chest height. You throw an uppercut to his left hand and an overhand right to his right hand. When you throw it with an uppercut, it seems to flow, and you can really get good torche.

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

• 1 month later...

I thought the purpose of the overhand was to go "over the guard that way you don't need to wrry about breaking it open, of course maybe I am thinking of a different style of overhand

Overhand is a KO strike, and a good one in MMA.

It's angle of attack is different then other strikes and it is difficult to counter punch off of if you use it properly. Step off on a angle, drop level and let it loose.

It's also a good one to set up a shoot off of, or to use a fake shot to set it up ;)

Chuck Liddell is a good one to watch to see it's use.

It can be practiced on a focus mitt just fine, just remember the limitations of the mits. They are speed, rythym, accuracy, timing, but NOT power. For that you need a bag or thai pads.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Thai kick pads work best for the overhand. Air shileds can also be used. I don't like te heavy bag for this purpose because the angle is wrong.

Landing an overhand can end the fight pretty quickly. One of our bb's is out for a while because of a broken collar bone. He was the unlucky recipient of an overhand during team training.

kugtjvh

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.