• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this a dumb Idea?

Hey all,

Just last week I took my MA training into a gym that is across from where I work. There is a hard wood floor just a little bit bigger from where I train. But it turns out that the others that go to the gym also use this floor for martial arts training, and once when I was training there were some guys who were talking and chating about there art. When I walked in I immedialtly started training and felt all four of there eyes on me. when I was done they asked me if I would be interested in participating in martial arts Tournament that offers cash prize To the winner.

My question is, Am I ready for a tournament like that :-?

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know you or your level of experience, nor do I know these guys or their level of experience. I would ask more questions of these guys if I were you. Like, Who sponsors this tournament? Who puts up the $$? Why choose me? Where is the tourney?

What's your sense of these guys ? Do they appear to be decent guys? The way you described it sounds odd to me. I'll let others chime in.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

How are we supposed to tell if you are ready for it or not if we know nothing about you or the tournament?

Bit more info required I think.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

right , Im 17 and have been in ITF TKD for 4 1/2 years. 1,500$ will go to the winner, and the only real tournament expieriance I have had was 2 reganals and I participated in the TKD nationals. They did say it was going to take atleast six months at the most to put everything together so it does give me some time :( but im still not sure.

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands

I think that might be a bad idea. I dont know what arts those guys practice, or how good your skill is, but that seems like the kind of situation like this..

That's "those guys" area. So here comes this new guy doing martial arts. So they might be sincerely friendly with you, but it seems to me that they might just be a bunch of guys who felt like you crossed into their space. Maybe they are threatened by you, or maybe just the kind of guys who like to start trouble. So maybe they invited you to this tournament thinking you might go there and get beaten, just to "teach you a lesson" in a way. Maybe they think "this guy needs a reality check'

I would be careful if I were you in this matter. Frankly I have always made it a point to not tell people outside of the martial arts world I practice, and try at the utmost to practice where people can't see me, because there are just some people in this world who are threatened by people who do martial arts, and they seem to think we all think we are great fighters if we are out in a public space "showing off' as they would call it. I used to practice in my back yard only during the summer, when the leaves were full of trees, so the neighbors behind me couldnt see me, cause it was a rough neighborhood, and some guy would surely see me and want to say something stupid.

tread those waters carefully my friend...

Todd

Hey all,

Just last week I took my MA training into a gym that is across from where I work. There is a hard wood floor just a little bit bigger from where I train. But it turns out that the others that go to the gym also use this floor for martial arts training, and once when I was training there were some guys who were talking and chating about there art. When I walked in I immedialtly started training and felt all four of there eyes on me. when I was done they asked me if I would be interested in participating in martial arts Tournament that offers cash prize To the winner.

My question is, Am I ready for a tournament like that :-?

Not to be mean or anything, but think about it. They are participating in a tournament where there is cash to the winner. The more people that enter, the more the prize money. However, they don't want to invite people that they think will beat them.

So, either they are very confident/good in their art, or they saw something in your practice that makes them think that you wouldn't win.

If I came across a flier, checked it out and it was legitimate, I might consider it. But, just to be approached by some guys in a gym, I'd be very leery.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Both of the above gentlemen are right in their much more articulate detail. $1500.00 to the winner. What's the looser get? Medical bills, maybe.

I could see how flatering it would be to be asked, but I think the potential risks outweigh the benefits.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

These guys are positive they could take you if you ask me. Be careful of such invitations. Most people who practice the arts that fare well in MMA events wrongly frown upon TMA and believe they can take them on easily. My opinion is that they saw you did Tae Kwon Do, thought of you as an easy target (with their rules) and deceided to invite you for easy money.