• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frustrated and Nervous

First, I'd like to thank DCMS for his excellent post. You must have studied physiology in some way, DCMS. Does your martial arts teacher talk about using adrenaline, etc.? I found it fascinating.

And as someone who periodically goes through phases of nervousness and fear, I can really relate to your plight, writerlady. One thing I've noticed is that these things are cyclical. Sometimes you just have to ride them out.

Of course this is no comfort if a test is coming up! :(

Good luck to you in figuring it out.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Breathe, empty and go for it...you know you can do it, your instructor knows you can do it, so just do it!

Sometimes your most fearsome opponent is yourself, lurking around every corner saying "are you for real? You cant expect me to do that!"

You must learn to silence this person, you must beat yourself in order to beat the boards.

I mean you passed the test third time around so you did have the skill (congrats by the way)......just learn to be calm and have Faith in yoiur skills!

*bows respectfully*

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!

First, I'd like to thank DCMS for his excellent post. You must have studied physiology in some way, DCMS. Does your martial arts teacher talk about using adrenaline, etc.? I found it fascinating.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm no longer under an Instructor (I have my own Academy) and my understanding on Adrenaline Management, Self-Defence/Self-Protection, NLP, etc, have all come from experience (mainly), our own training, attending courses and seminars and my own continued research/study (a lot of reading!). I can honestly say that I've learnt more about these subjects over the last 5 years, than in all the 24 years that I've been in martial arts.

Nearly all of our training is conducted with 'Aliveness' and all techniques that I teach to my students are 'Pressure Tested' on a monthly basis.

I also consider myself to be very fortunate (honoured) to have trained with arguably the best Reality Based Self-Defence and Combative Instructors in the world.

Here is just a selection of good RBSD/Combative material:

Geoff Thompson - Dead or Alive - ISBN: 1840242795

Gavin De Becker - The Gift of Fear - ISBN: 0440226198

W E Fairbairn - Get Tough - ISBN: 0873640020

George Thompson & Jerry Jenkins - Verbal Judo - ISBN: 0688137865

Jim Grover - Street Smarts, Firearms & Personal Security - ISBN: 1581600674

Richard Dimitri - Senshido - Any book or DVD

Peter Consterdine - British Combat Association - Any DVD

Dennis Martin - CQB - Any DVD

Lee Morrison - Urban Combatives - Any book or DVD

Rodney 'Chico' King - SBG - Any DVD

Matt Thornton - SBG - Any DVD

In my view, everyone should learn and understand Adrenaline Management and Awareness before they've even been taught how to punch. It easy to learn and put into practice. Geoff Thompson's book 'Dead or Alive' covers just about everything.

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

Mentally, I think that breaking boards is a lot like finding love. You have to know that you have what it takes, but if you force it it will never happen. Relax, do the technique the way that you have practiced and the bosrds will break.This test should be a great time in your life. Enjoy it!

5th Dan Tang Soo Do