• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frustrated and Nervous

Okay here's the scoop. I'm a red belt know...actually high level red belt that doesn't matter...every time I'm about to test the week before, the board breaking thing is so easy, but as for example, my last two testing that I failed with the exception of the one I just passed...I feel like I'm cursed. I can easily break them during class time but when it comes to testing....I'll just freak the heck out. I wouldn't say freaked out more like disappointed. 3 testing ago...I broke the left side kick and didn't break with the elbow strike and I didn't pass and my little cousing passed. I was hurt for a while but I recovered. Then the next testing came around and of course I broke the boards one week before testing. Then the test came around still doing the same pattern over again. I said to myself that I wasn't going to fail. So I broke the board with a hammerfist and I tried kicking it with a right instanct side kick and it didn't break. I just started to cry right then because I knew that I broke it before during class a couple days before testing. Then my instructor got mad and told me that I'm stronger than that and going to break those boards or else. So I tried again with a right instanct side kick and didn't break again. I was really mad at this point. Then he asked do I want to change my techinque...I thought about it and said yeah a left instant side kick...and I did it and it didn't break...then to find out that the grains of the board was completely wrong and I failed once again. But the testing that's just past...it was a positive side...I broke them both with a again left instant side kick and a knifehand strike. It was on the first try on both of them. Then I passed to what I am now. I'm nerous on this point because this is the most important test of my life. The black belt. I don't want to fail this one but I feel like I'm cursed over those boards. Everytime when my instructor says the time is near I freeze up and I can't stop thinking about it. What if I fail the most important test of my life...I just won't feel like I've accomplished something you know...I'm frustrated...lol

Life is a book, you have to read it to achieve it- invent your own novel

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Everytime when my instructor says the time is near I freeze up and I can't stop thinking about it. What if I fail the most important test of my life...I just won't feel like I've accomplished something you know...I'm frustrated...lol

It's all about perseverance, ma'am. I no-changed twice in a row going for 5th Degree, got it on the third attempt. It doesn't matter whether you get it first attempt or tenth attempt, the important thing is that you stay the course and succeed. As Grandmaster H. U. Lee said, "Today not possible, tomorrow possible.".

And my suggestion for you is to break, break, break and break again in class. Use the rebreakable boards and challenge yourself by setting them a half-step higher than what you'll be breaking at your testing. Get to where you are consistantly breaking at that higher level. Then when the test rolls around, you'll do the breaks almost on autopilot because you practiced them so much; you won't even think about doing them.

Whew, you are stressing me out just reading your post! :P

Just kidding. Part of testing is the mental side. You are letting the boards get in your head, and they are defeating you before you even get to testing day. Visualize yourself breaking the boards. Think about it when you lay down at night...see yourself breaking the boards. You are building up a fear...like Mr. Myogi said "Ok to lose to opponent, not ok to lose to fear!"

Good luck!! You can do it!

You will make it through this, and you know you will. Just remember to give yourself enough credit!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

You need to relax. When it is time, they will all break. The important thing is that you have a lesson to still learn; Patients. Nothing happens when you want it to.

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

You are letting the boards get in your head, and they are defeating you before you even get to testing day. Visualize yourself breaking the boards. Think about it when you lay down at night...see yourself breaking the boards. You are building up a fear...like Mr. Myogi said "Ok to lose to opponent, not ok to lose to fear!"

I agree with White Tiger. visualize yourself breaking the boards and also try some breathing techniques to slow the heart rate and focus. Focus on your technique. Visualize your hips rotating on the kick and see your wrist twisting on the punch. Then attack those boards and make them splinters. There just boards!! Visualize your technique on the other side of the broken boards. Don't proceed until your mind is ready.

Blast them!! :lol:

I have a joke we use for board breaks, maybe more of a saying really: "the boards are already broken, they just dont know it yet"

Fix that thought in your mind and the break will go much easier.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

First of all this isnt the most important test of your life....this is just another class in your never-ending quest in the martial arts.

Dont think of this as a test...think of it as another class that you are doing (there will just be alot of people there), you have obviously done what you needed to do, you just need to show it.

So stop thinking about it, do the kicks, do the punches, do the board breaking, do the forms, do the sparring...do what you gotta do, and then be done with it...

If you over think it, you will not pass.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

Writerladyo4, the nervousness that you experience, usually leading to impaired performance, is perfectly natural and happens to everyone at some point on their 'journey'. The nervousness, or fear, is down to the effects of adrenaline being pumped around your body, which again, is perfectly natural.

Under the influence of adrenaline, either a slow release or an actual adrenaline dump, your mind and body are effected. The secretion of adrenaline in your body will raise your heart rate in the blink of an eye. Over 115bpm (which is nothing in a fearful situation) your brain will not be capable of processing fine/complex motor skills (effecting hand/eye co-ordination), as the blood that feeds the part of the brain responsible for cognitive thought processes is send to other areas of your body in preparation of, or as part of, the 'Fight or Flight'. In a fearful situation the human body is designed for two things, running or freezing, not breaking boards, sparring, street fighting, etc, etc, that's why we (need to) train.

The 'butterflies' in your stomach and the draining sensation down your thighs is caused by the blood rushing to the major muscles, ie legs, in preparation for running. Other effects of adrenaline are tunnel vision (to help focus on the particular threat), impaired memory, time distortion, monosylabic speech, impaired hearing, etc, etc.

As has been suggested, use NLP techniques to help you to visualise breaking through the boards. Visualise yourself being calm and in control. Before, or when, you begin to feel the effects of adrenaline, slow your heart rate down through Tactical Breathing (deep - 5 secs in, 5 secs out). By reducing your heart rate you will lessen the effects of adrenaline.

Practice, practice, practice under the effects of adrenaline by breaking in front of people with the help of your instructor, etc.

Understand adrenaline, learn to channel and harness it. Understand what is happening to your body under the influence of adrenaline and use it to your benefit, not hinderance. Listen to your body.

With this understanding, and tactical breathing, you will become more relaxed and the things that you've done so many times in a training environment (within your comfort zone) can, and will, be achieved in a high pressure environment (outside your comfort zone). This can be said for everything you do, in every walk of life - Fear is your friend, not your enemy.

Good luck writerlady04, I wish you all the best,

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you 'think' about 'it' 'breaking' too much... Dont think just DO!' think of the board as a soda cracker visualize that in your head and just destroy it.. seems to work for me