• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

favorite bunkai from higher end kata

JimmyNewton

was ondering if anyone like to share their preferred bunkai from higher end katas.

specifically gojishiho.

i like the crane beak move to the eyes . just thoughti'd get something started.thanks

jn

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ji'in:

Shuto-Jodan-Uke -> "Bo-Uke"->Ashi-barai movement

It's often interpreted as block a staff attack with head-high knife hand block and then grab the staff, twist hands, rip it from the attacker's grip and sweep his leg.

However I prefer:

-> closer range, knife hand attack to vital point

-> simultaneous neck and groin attack with twist

-> quick pull and knee to attacker's head (or some other juicy part)

Obviously you can't use it in class when doing the "official" bunkai, but it definitely works better on the street than blocking a staff with your forearm :)

I haven't run Gojushishi-Sho/Dai in ages, since I've been pulling the heian/pinan katas apart like hell :D

Love to hear from others with nasty/effective/non-bugas bunkai!

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

ji'in:

Shuto-Jodan-Uke -> "Bo-Uke"->Ashi-barai movement

It's often interpreted as block a staff attack with head-high knife hand block and then grab the staff, twist hands, rip it from the attacker's grip and sweep his leg.

Are you sure you're not talking about "Jitte" ?

Tommy

Are you sure you're not talking about "Jitte" ?

Tommy

Thanks, and I did mean Jitte. I'm getting too many things confused today, I might just restart the day. If I was a McDojo, you'd get a new belt (for a small fee of course) :D

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

Sochin (Shotokan)

The opening technique is called Muso-Gamae, which means incomparable posture. And it is.

I imagine that someone is trying to shoot at my knees with his hands forward. I step forward into him, right hand goes to his belt, left arm comes up to his lapel, I pivot (not in the kata) and I dump him over my shoulder head first into the floor. This results in my hands in the posture of the vertical sword hand block. Then I punch the guy twice in succession.

Another application - Lapels have already been grabbed, so I bring my right arm down on one and my left arm up under the other to break the grip, press my left palm into his face hard while bottom fisting the guy in the nuts.

Attacker punches with his right hand to my face. I block with the left arm and latch on to his wrist and twist the arm. I bottom fist his lower rib on his right side as I step in, then put the arm under his crotch and fireman's carry and dump him on the floor. Two punches.

Attacker front kicks with his left leg. I block it with a down block, and grab his left wrist with my right hand. I chop with a sword hand at his lower ribs or neck, whichever is exposed, and then two punches.

Attacker left side round kicks at me, I put the right hand under the kick up on his thigh, put the left hand on his face, and step to put my left foot behind his support leg. PUSH! Over his goes - two punches.

I think in many cases the two punches could be interpreted as a sort of BJJ forward mount where you just start beating the guy senseless for daring to attack you. LOL!

That's my favorite move.

Good apps Rob. Concerning the double punches, I like to look at the fact that most kata use mid level punches. Is this to say we don't punch higher? Well, maybe after the preceding move his head is now at a lower level due to you taking out a knee or throwing/taking him down etc.

With that in mind I like the first punch to be a grab of the hair, ear, collar or whatever to pull his head towards me as I punch with the other...control of my opponent.

Tommy