• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Many Judoka utilise arm locks, chokeholds and strangleholds. Maneuveurs like leglocks were removed due to the dangerous nature of the techniques, as was the torso strangle (Do-Jime). But I have never heard of any rules in Judo competition regarding the use of Neck Locks, locks that work on the muscles on the neck, not the windpipe or blood vessels. Just the muscles, probably bone also. I understand the dangers of employing such techniques, but did Judo ever possess Neck Locks, and are there any rules against it. Mike Swain once said how cross training in other grappling arts was excellent, because those techniques could easily cross over into Judo competition, provided they did not break the rules (e.g. leg locks).

I started studying Catch Wrestling a while ago, and we were taught Neck Locks, which never even occured to me that they existed. Given Mike Swain's statement, I thought it would be a good idea to use such locks in Judo competition, especially from positions like Kesa-Gatame.

However, not knowing the presence of Neck Locks in Judo, how are they regarded as such? Are Neck Locks allowed? Are Neck Locks taught in todays Judo curriculum? Or were they taught in the past and then removed?

The Judo I refer to in this post is Kodokan. However, if anyone has information regarding Kosen Judo, your responses would be most welcome.

Thanx

Superfoot.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you blatantly do them in shiai you will be issued hansokumake and you will lose the match.

From Section 27 30b of the IJF rules

(30) To make any action which may endanger or injure the opponent especially the opponent's neck or spinal vertebrae, or may be against the spirit of Judo.

http://www.ijf.org/rule/rule_referee.php?Code=2#Prohibitedactsandpenalties

In general they are not practiced in randori and that is something you need to work out with your coach.

I have the 40 original Go Kyo in front of me, and I only see Koshi-Guruma.

The remaining seem to be related to shoulder, waist, leg, arm, or through sacrifice (downward pull/off balancing) as with the Tomoe-nage.

The neck is a rather sensitive part of the body in regards to takedowns or throws.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Im pretty positive that neck cranks (which is what you're talking about) are quite illegal in Judo.

Strangleholds and joint locks at the elbow (and bicep cutters) are the only legal submissions in Judo I believe.

Thanx for your responses.

Yeah, I was referring to holds on the neck. These locks are used in Catch Wrestling, but at a slower speed under supervision. I was curious to see if they were at all used in Judo. I have never done them in Judo before, and assumed that they were either ommited for safety reasons, or were not in the syllabus at all.

So such attacks on the neck are illegal? What about Neck Locks in general? Are/were there any present in Judo at all despite not being used. The Kani Basami was contained in the Judo curriculum until it was banned from shiai use.

A neck "lock" is a neck crank. Strikes are in the Judo curriculum as well, but they're still not legal.

I understood you perfectly. Yes, I know strikes are still in the curriculum. But I was also wondering if any neck cranks were ever present.

Thanx for your responses.

Superfoot.

They haven't been used in randori or shiai for many decades. Many jujutsu schools are run by judo teachers that have phased in the more dangerous techniques. You might have better luck in that type of environment.