• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Setting Up The Back Kick

Does anyone have any drills or routines that could help set up a spinning back kick? It's my best kick in TKD and I'd like to learn how to frequent its usage. I know I can't fire that kick straigh t of the bat.

The only drills I have so far:

Lead Push Kick to oncoming opponent --} Spinning Back Kick

(fron southpaw)

Rear Round Kick ---} Spinning Back Kick

Fake Sliding Push Kick ---} Spinning Back Kick

Sliding Fake Spinning Back Kick ---} put foot right back on floor and Spinning Back Kick.

That's all I ever use. I may have missed some out.

Thanx for any responses. And feel free to include drills for

Spinning Hook Kick

Spinning Heel Kick

Spinning Crescent Kick (In-Out)

Spinning Axe Kick

Thanx.

Superfoot.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The principle of the back kick is to get your opponent to close the gap, and surprise them with the kick.

You either wait for them to begin executing their kick or strike, and step in with your kick, or you make them follow you, then throw a setup strike, then back kick.

The number one preferred setup to a backick is a roundhouse.

The backkick not only compliments the roundhouse, it is on of the the best defenses against a roundhouse as well.

You are on the right track.

Good luck!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

I will be training in Kyokushin Karate soon and in shadow boxing I love to use low kicks to set up back kicks, much like the Russian Kyokushin fighters. Using Knee Kicks is interesting, as I never thought of those. I should have a go on the striking pads and the heavy bag to see how that works. What do you use preferably? Straight or round knees?

Shogeri: when you perform the round kick-back kick combo, is there a stage when both feet leave the floor, or do you ground the round kick after completing it?

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

I like the low round house to set up the spinning back kick. You can also follow-up the lead, low round, with a low wheel kick to the thigh. A heel to the thigh is more painful than a shin to the thigh because it's often unexpected.

Straight knee when the opponent is pressing in, round or straight to chin when up close.

Brazilian kick is also a good set up for the back kick.

Crescent kicks are also great set ups for any spinning or back kick. A fake knee or crescent gives you good momentum for the spin.

Meguro, makes some good points.

Also, pay attention to Muay Thai kicks. Quite often they may trap you into spinning them, which in turn they use that back against you.

While I practiced TKD, there is moment, when your kick is at it's zenith, that you might find yourself off the ground. Depending on your flexibility, of course.

The more flexible you are the more you will use your whole body. This creates more torque.

The less flexible, the more you will use just your waist.

In goju ryu, the kick was either with a full bent knee, or extended partially, or fully depending on the closeness of the opponent.

We didn't leave the ground that much.

The core of the kick, as with most kicks is the momentum of the body that propels the leg.

In what I teach now, since I am older, I tend to favor the fully bent knee, after a trapping technique to get them close in. The target zone is the lower abdomen just above the groin.

In Taijiquan, some hand strikes, deliver such full body power, that the person might be airborn as well.

Perhaps it is cultural thing, or something that many (though not all) Karate systems prefer that you be on the ground at all times.

Who knows.

So far as throwing combos, it depends on whether I am already planted, and on the defensive, or if I am being more proactive and moving in.

If I move in, then more than likely the roundhouse will move them back or to my inside, and depending on the momentum, or the timing of the whole movement, along with flexibility, will determine whether I am airborne.

I suppose I could make it airborn, but prefer to just let spinning kicks evolve based upon the situation.

Anyway, I hope what I say is helpful, and is not too dumb, long winded, or utterly useless.

Take care.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

I think this topic has already been covered quite a bit, and there’s probably not a lot that I could add, but I’ll try anyway.

Perhaps my favorite setup is a step backwards, using any technique or just a regular backward step. By retreating a step, you are inviting the opponent to advance a step. When he advances he might leave his midsection open. This is a great opportunity to spin one in. (For example, starting with a right-leg forward fighting stance, move your right leg backward in a clockwise direction to switch to a left-leg forward fighting stance. Pause for just a second to allow him to move, then continuing in the same clockwise direction, turn around and kick with the right foot.)

There is also an alternative way to throw a back kick. On a regular back kick, you advance by one step; you pivot on the front foot and move the rear leg forward. There is a way to throw a back kick without advancing: Rather than pivoting on your front foot as normal, move your front leg back to your rear leg, then turn and throw your rear leg out in a back kick. If you can do this quick enough he won’t see it coming and won’t expect you to turn around on a retreat. (For example, start with a right-food forward fighting stance. Move your right foot backward in a counter-clockwise direction. Just as your right foot settles down into position, pivot on the right foot, continuing in the same counter-clockwise direction and push your left leg out in a back kick.)

I hope that these directions are clear. Stand up and try them, and see if they make sense. If they don’t I’ll try to animate them more.

You can also follow-up the lead, low round, with a low wheel kick to the thigh. A heel to the thigh is more painful than a shin to the thigh because it's often unexpected.

I can vouch for that. I just had a guy hit me with a couple of those last night. Caught me by surprise cause I just wasn't expecting it.

I've been limping around all day because of it! :(

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

Ah..the back kick! One of my favorites!!! :brow:

I use drills that draw the person into the kick such as retreating foot work or circling out as well as counter drills where I set up an attack, say turning kick or wheel kick, and counter with back kick (tHere are a lot of variations!). Beginners have a hard time throwing it due to balance problems so a favorite is to have them throw side kick then back kick to their partners hogu while the partner moves to either side after the first kick. This forces them to focus on technique and balance in order to hit their target (as opposed to just throwing it wildly behind them hoping to hit something).

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

As was said a few times before me..I think the best way to set this up is to catch your opponent with it when he/she comes in. But beware, if he comes in a few times, and you throw it and dont hit him clean...he's gonna expect it from you, and make you pay if you aren't careful. I've knocked 3 different guys out doing just that. I know they are trying to set me up..so I'll come at them a few times..them I fake coming in, and pull back..once they throw that and kick open air, usually they are wide open, and in this case, I'm hunting for head, not chest. It's one of my best techniques. A full on roundhouse to the mouth right as they are trying to get their feet back in good position will haunt them for awhile...

But another strategy I like, is in a fairly large tournament, when you are getting 3 rounds 2 or 3 minutes each, I like to spend the first round basically playing defense, and acting like I'm retreating alot, maybe even taking a warning for it in the first round. Then I can sit back and watch his coach telling him that I'm afraid of him, and to come at me aggressive. So the first 30 seconds of the second round..again, playing the retreat game, blocking, just kicking a liitle to show the ref I'm still alive. Let that guy come aggressive and tire his body out a little. Once they think they have you beat..let him come in... and throw that back-kick. with that, . From then on, act like you are on fire, and give them everything you got. Dont wear yourself out, but show them you arent as afraid as he was gullible enough to believe.

Being only 5'8..and usually fighting guys taller than me..this "scared" strately works well for me, they buy into it every time.

Todd