• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who is your "mentor" in MA??

My current mentor is my Sensie a regular guy by the name of Dean Stephens with not so regular talent. I will always hold my first senei as a mentor, his name was Wade Chroninger and for me he set the bar for what it means to be a martial artist.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Father Sensei Michael Pralgo is my Mentor. He has been my Sensei in Karate, and Life from day one.

As far as my Karate training, he tried his best to cover all aspects. Self control was one of them. I was a hot tempered kid, and he would not put up with it. I'm still a bit hot tempered, but know how to keep it cool. He taught me how to avoid situations, but handle them when needed. He backed me up when needed, but not if the problem was of my own doing. Any rank that was received by him was earned. No shortcuts. Then, and now he still puts me to work and challenges me. He's the guy thay works out with the class. Every class. And would work out in the mornings on his own.

His training was for practical use. For self defense. Since the GOJU breakup in the 60s, he has stuck with the GOJU-KAI. This is despite numerous attempts by others to lure him away with inflated ranks and promises of large amounts of cash from Big NAME Commercialized Organizations that just about everyone on this board has heard from. He's very traditional.

His tireless community service included free work for the NYC Police Department, anti rape/abduction classes, seminars at schools, and the NY Guardian Angels (we threw them out when we learned of their curruption) and numerous civic organizations. All that, and he's a great Dad and Grandpa.

Another role models that I have are My Uncle Mel Pralgo. He has been in the business like my Dad for over 40 years. He's an excellent Traditional Okinawan GOJU stylist. I have never trained directly under him, but have watched him train and watch a video I have of him performing KATA. I have never seen GOJU Kata performed better by anyone. Just amazing.

Gosei Yamaguchi has kept with his Father's way in the GOJU-KAI for many years. A great role model in the Martial Arts world. My Dad and I follow both his, and his Father's (The Cat's) teachings.

Cool stories, gojupralgo and Iceman :)

I do have other mentors. My Tang Soo Do instructor (my first). He was just a regular guy in street clothes. He laughed and joked with students, ect. But when he put on his dobok, watch out! Boy, was he a tough cookie LOL. Still is (I train with him once in a while when I visit home). I give him a lot of credit also for my technique. Though it's not perfect, I still have good technique for my rank, because he was tough on technique. He was picky. He made me into the technique geek that I am today.

Laurie F

Cool stories, gojupralgo and Iceman :)

I do have other mentors. My Tang Soo Do instructor (my first). He was just a regular guy in street clothes. He laughed and joked with students, ect. But when he put on his dobok, watch out! Boy, was he a tough cookie LOL. Still is (I train with him once in a while when I visit home). I give him a lot of credit also for my technique. Though it's not perfect, I still have good technique for my rank, because he was tough on technique. He was picky. He made me into the technique geek that I am today.

Thanks

Hey, nobody's technique is perfect. We are always improving. Just keep on striving for improvement. That's what we all need to be doing. I'm sure that your technique is better than you think as long as you keep on scrutinizing it. That goes the same for all of the Masters whose technique we try to emulate. They are constantly trying to improve.

Sometimes we just need people to convince us that we have the power inside of us to accomplish anything we want and remind us of what it is that is important in life...and sometimes we just need someone to kick us in the butt when we start getting negative! :wink:

My first mentor was Herb Nye-my first instructor(TSD). He sparked the passion I have for the martial arts and taught me to believe in myself. I will be forever grateful to him for this.

My second was Sensei Clyde Kanekoa,my shotokan instructor, who believed in me enough to pass down his family's system and entrust me with the art that he held so dear. His guidance developed in me a deep sense of loyalty and tradition that permeates my practice today.

The third & fourth mentors I studied under at the same time and still look to daily for their guidance. Kwan Jang Nim Tom Callos helped me to be strong and face my fears, and instilled in me a work ethic that has made me successful today-in both martial arts and life. Kwan Jang Nim Ernie Reyes Sr guided me to the realization that there is no challenge that can't be overcome, and that we need to take hold of our destiny and go for it...with passion! Kwan Zu KJN Ernie!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 1 year later...

my mentors are both my sifu, and the assitant instructor

sifu has taught basically every technique i know, and how to apply them, i have even learned applications that u would not think were possible with the mantis style, such as boxing applications for are certain forms, and a leapord style form even though we practice mantis style kungfu, basically he haS been the main person who has taught me how to defend myself at all. :D

the assitant instructor own the other hand, i usually have more solo time to practice with because my sifu also gives math tudering and is a teacher at a highschool so he can sometimes get very busy or tired. the asistant instructor has taught me mainly the phylosophical aspects of the martial arts, and has given me many books, and movies, that show good martial arts techniques,and excellent phylosophy. aswell as being my main sparring partner, and showing me different aproaches to situations. :)

they have both been very big influences in my life, and also came into my life, at a somewhat bad time so they kinda gave me confindence and showed me how to think, carry, and belive in myself.

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.

My instructor, John Will.

All the experience you could ask for: Black belts in Karate, TKD, some wrestling, went to Indonesia to train Pentcak Silat (and was the first foreigner to win their national tourney), trained in Thailand, went to India to study Vajra Mushti, an ancient MA that he later wrote about, went to the US in the late 80s and trained with the Gracies and the Machados. At various times he's trained with the likes of Geoff Thompson, Gene LeBell, Chuck Norris and Benny Urquidez.

He developed his own Shootfighting system (separate to Bart Vale's), got his BJJ black belt from Rigan Machado making him a member of the "dirty dozen" - first 12 non-Brazilian BJJ black belts, opened his schools and started the Australian arm of Machado BJJ, basically laying the foundation for BJJ in Australia. Black belts he's awarded include UFC fighters Elvis Sinosic and Anthony Perosh (though I'd love to see them win more :) )

He conducts seminars worldwide, trains military teams, produces instructional material and STILL manages to find time to have a family and instruct the n00b class that I'm in, which I find truly amazing and a great privilege.

He is able to command respect without asking for it, yet is always friendly and approachable, is charismatic and able to explain things very well, able to impart knowledge very quickly. I know I can trust him to look after my safety and he constantly works to have us, the students, establish this sort of trust between us to make training much more effective. One day I hope to be able to pick his brain for an extended period :)

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007