• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

using NUNCHUCKS...

Kill Jill

In bukijitsu we trained to only use one at a time. It has two handles because we have two hands. Much of the time it is held with both handles grasped in one hand and utilized similar to a tan bo or yawara. It can be flailed, but this has been discussed at length so I won't address that. Someone already mentioned the importance of returning the weapon after making contact. It's really helpful to strike a punching bag with them to help you practice this movement.

A primary focus with it is in close quarter fighting. It can be wraped around various body parts in order to gain control of a situation. For example, get in close, jab with one end to the solar plexus and quickly flail them around your opponents neck, grab and squeeze the handles together. Similar techniques can be done on virtually any appendage.

They are easily countered by any weapon with superior reach. This includes spears, bo, jo, long swords and so on. Additionally, to counter flailing, simply close the gap with the opponent. and control the chain or rope. Of course, this is easier said than done. But as important as knowing how to use a weapon is knowing it's weakness.

You look very coordinated in your video. Keep up the practice. Just remember that the ability to spin them does not equate with being able to use them.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it seems there's some good advice here. However, I think it is hard to visualize the written descriptions. I need a 'live' trainer!

But, I did like the idea of practicing with eyes closed. I think I can try that out - afterall, my foam covered nunchaku are fairly painless if I get hit.

I got some cuts and bruises from the aluminium ones, and I daren't try the wooden ones, although I've heard they help develop stronger arms than the lighter ones. Has anyone here actually knocked themselves out with nunchaku training?

I'll add some more videos when I can - but strangely, my webcam suddenly packed up after my Steven Spielberg run 2 days ago... I'll have to get a new one.

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*

oh yes, funny story about knock outs with nunchucks....i was at a keith hackney seminar....way way back in the 90s he was in the early ufc fights if you recall back then he was the guy who busted his hand all up beating down the really big sumo guy.

anyway, at the seminar we did this exercise where we would have a person standing behind us about 10 yards away and they would throw a frisbie at the back of our heads. The exercise was to "feel" the frisbie and with out looking, swing the nunchuku over our shoulders and strike the frisbie.

over all by the end of the day there were lots of broken frisbies but there were also several...several students that knocked themselves out when they cracked themselves on the back of the head....fun time.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

It's really helpful to strike a punching bag with them to help you practice this movement.

Yes, that's a great piece of advice. Often, students have trouble with the "recoil" of Nunchaku and training with a heavy bag helps with this.

Loved that training story granmasterchen -so funny!! :up:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!