• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

using NUNCHUCKS...

Kill Jill

You will find that on the whole asian languages don't pluralize anything. If you said I have one box or five boxes in english, in japanese you would say I have one box or five box.

Long Live the Fighters!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But as 'nunchuks' has been 'Englified' in accordance to Japlish, it can have a plural, right?

Hey, guys, I think this an MA forum, not a linguistics forum!

If your instructor is calling them numchuks or chuks in class, my guess would be that he hasn't a clue as to how to properly use them.

But, to add to the fuel... my instructor isn't calling them anything in Japanese be it chucks or nunchaku because in fact, nobody in this country (Korea) recognizes the word 'nunchaku' at all.

Edited by Kill Jill

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*

P.S. Would anyone be offended if I changed my forum name to NUNCHICK??? :idea:

(Don't respond with comment that it should be something like 'dumbchick' instead...)

Why yes, I would be very offended. As a matter of fact, I'm offended you even suggested it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding.

Ok, I'll give in on the name. 'Chucks are a momentum weapon. When you see a pommel horse routine in mens gymnastics, it's all momentum. Slow down, and you lose control. As you gain proficiency, you will learn how to use the momentum and curves of your body to manipulate the weapon without beating yourself silly. (Just wait until you do an under the arm move and whack yourself in the head!)

The SJB can be used as a striking weapon (The original use for SJB was threshing grain), you can grab both handles in one hand and use it like a club, you can grab a handle in each hand and tip or butt strike with it, you can use the cord to wrap forearms/catch weapons, etc.

And, if you strike something, just remember the recoil (And thus the momentum) will rebound in the opposite direction. So, if you are doing a vertical twirl with one end going counter clockwise and you strike something, it will rebound in a clockwise direction. Just continue your twirl in a clockwise direction, and you will maintain control. It's when you try to start twirling in a counter clockwise direction again against a clockwise rebound that the weapon gets all tangled.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 6 months later...

Well, for anyone who's interested in what happened to my 'nunchuku' training, I just made some videos this evening - pretty basic - and uploaded them to youtube. If ya wanna watch....

I hope more posters could add some of their demos on the site!

There are no limits.

^^*

On a slightly tangent topic, how many people when using Nunchaku use one or use two (one in each hand)?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

On a slightly tangent topic, how many people when using Nunchaku use one or use two (one in each hand)?

Currently we are training with two (2nd degree BB only, 1st use one), and doing the advanced drills, which involve a lot of hand over hand spins, etc.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Actually, I decided to turn the blocked toilet issue into a new video series for English language learners. You'll be able to watch what happens with the toilet if you go back to my link/site.

Well, all the 2 handed moves are the only ones that are taught in my gym. They are all the moves anyone there knows. I tried to find some other techniques through the internet that I can develop by myself. I would like to develop the wrist spin and hand spin and finger spin, but even though I think I understand the technique involved and have practiced quite a few times, I don't seem to have any success so far. I know that someone will say practice more and eventually it'll come, but I'm not so sure at this stage. I seem to 'strangle' my wrist or lose the nunchaku after a couple of rotations.

Any advice?

There are no limits.

^^*

where to start.....i noticed lots of questions from different people and not nearly all have been answered(not that i claim to have all the answers). For the wrist spin, if you start from a stationary position by having the weapon draped over your wrist you can move your arm in a circular rotation...example; using the right arm, rotate right to left quickly and this should allow for the rotation of the weapon on the hand then you can just grab a handle on its spin around....but i did notice that you mentioned multiple spins....so you probably already know this and are asking for something more advanced than i can describe to do properly.

figure 8 rotation: this may help a bit, i didnt see you do it in your video, this is a classic technique that we typically see with this weapon and it just helps to give the user a basic understanding of the movement of the various parts

keep in mind that one of the main uses with this weapon is distraction. For instance you can seriously fake out your opponent by dropping the rotation end down toward your lower side or groin area and then quickly snap the handle back up to strike the opponent on the side of the head. For this reason it is very important to understand how to manipulate the weapon in order to use it effectively in combat. And always keep in mind the art of faking when wielding this weapon.

part of form; there was a very very very small segment of a form that i recall from when i was first learning how to use it. It started out with the right hand doing 3 figure eight formations out to the front then dropping the handle down to the inside of the thigh, swinging it back up over the right shoulder and using the left arm to catch the rotating handle under the arm pit of the right arm....from there you repeate but your now using the left arm since you grabbed it with the left and such.

and to answer someone's question i haven't trained extensively on using two at the same time, only one....mostly.

also; nice video!

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger