• advertisement_alt

Wow thats FAST...

Bleeding Lion

Is the video real or edited?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Is the video real or edited?

• It is Real
    • It is Edited

Well, Goju-ryu is a rather recent addition to Okinawan styles. Kanryo Higashionna brought it from China in late 19th/early 20th century and his student Chojun Miyagi later developed it into a Goju-ryu known nowadays, as well as named the style. So, it's no wonder that there are kung fu -influence.

I must say, I have seen the person performing the kata in a seminar. While his karate is OK, it's not that fast - I'd say that the video is manipulated. It's most visible in his stepping.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The seconds timer on the video is quicker than the actual time shown for the clip. IE, the video shows from 7:23 to 8:36 (73 seconds) in just one minute. He is fast, but not that fast.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

It took me about 5 seconds to see that this was edited. This thought was confirmed many times while I was watching it. It was a good editing job. But it is definitely edited. I find it hilarious that anyone would believe this is an unedited recording. Nice work, whoever did the editing!

look at the guy doing at the kata and the trees behind. if it was edited the trees would have been moving fast too. either that or they used state-of-the-art technology.

It does not require state of the art technology to speed up one part of a video. You film the trees moving for the correct amount of time with nobody there, then film a guy in front of a green screen and use the trees as a background. Really easy to do, I've done it for school projects.

As far as green screen goes, a 3/4 body shot is easy because you don't have to worry about the floor and shadows – so if it was a ¾ body shot, I’d say plausible but not likely.

But a 'full body shot' is not that easy.... without thousands of dollars of equipment, professional lighting, etc. Imagine trying to get the lighting correct for the proper shadows for that time of day etc.

To take a shot like this, a 'full body shot', and maintain perspective, the screen would have to be 20 feet wide, 15 feet tall, and the floor in the studio would also have to be green, extending from the wall to the camera another 15 or 20 feet. Unless this guy's got friends at ILM, I doubt an amateur with a green screen could achieve this.

This particular affect could be achieved in Adobe, editing on two tracks.

The original video is edited on Video Track 1:

Select a clip in the Project window or Timeline window.

Choose Clip > Speed, and in the dialog box, type a percentage or a duration.

Select Reverse Speed or Maintain Audio Pitch.

Click OK.

Render to get the effect.

Then, on the rendered clip:

The 'time stamp' video is overlaid in Video Track 2

The project is re-rendered.

As a result, the video that has been sped up looks like it playing at a constant speed along with the ‘time stamp’.

However!

You could easily tell if this was done, because the audio for Track 1 would speed up and slow down at certain points and be noticeable. Also, the transition from no effect to a speed effect would also be noticible, almost comical.

If you listen, his dogi sounds right, and the birds chirping also sound right. I.e., when he moves fast, you can hear his dogi move fast, but the birds chirp at a constant speed. If the clip was sped up, the birds would chirp faster when he moved faster.

Of course, if you had two audio tracks, you could add birds chirping in the background at a constant speed to add to the illusion, but I digress…

I think it’s real…..

Look how old he is, he must have done that form more than 1000 times.

of course, another explanation is that the tape was old and the player wasn't playing at the right speed.

i have old videos on vhs that if i play side by side with a dvd, are faster/slower.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

For some reason I had some trouble viewing the video, so IP can't comment much except to say this.

Sensei Hokama is very well respected in Okinawa. Not some commercialized moneymaker. I don't think that his organization has more than 5 DOJOs globally. If the video was edited, I don't think that it was by him.

He's an old timer. A student of Sensie Higa. These guys are fast!

It has been modified , you can c that the wind is moving tree branches faster when the hand strikes start .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike