• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The reason we train wrist grabs...

Well, I guess I'll take your word for it that there was a martial art technique used there. Problem is, I've seen the same "technique" used in countless junior and senior high school fights, and God knows how many bar fights over the years. Some guy grabs the others wrist to keep from getting punched, then dives for the legs because he's bigger or stronger then straddles his chest and pounds on him. I guess I didn't realize that was good technique...I always thought it was slop.

I stand corrected.

Just because you see a technique in countless junior or senior high school fights or in a bar fight doesn't mean it isn't a viable technique. I've seen sloppy technique too but it still achieves the end result - the opponent's on the ground and you're on top. The problem is that most people who attempt a leg takedown of this sort do it improperly. There is a correct way and an incorrect way to apply the technique. You don't just bend at the waist and rush the guy (though even that can work some times and is still a viable technique, albeit not the ideal way to take someone to the ground).

The idea is to change levels (bending at the knees). Then penetrate forward to shorten the distance. The knees are what are ideally supposed to be attacked. Watch a collegiate wrestler perform this same exact technique and you'll notice a difference in how most people attempt a leg attack and how real grapplers do it. Not the same.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, however I find this fight pathetic and quite frustrating. True, I wasn't there to witness what lead to the fight, but from the video it is clear that the guy who gets beat up had no intention of starting any physical confrontation. I have no problem with two guys who want to go at it, but when I see a person picking on someone who obviously doesn't want to fight I consider this to be a very cowardly act.

While Adonis already pointed this out, I wanted to reiterate that if you watch the whole video (when it begins in the water), the surfer brought it all on himself.

He was asked to move to a different section of the water because of a surf competition. In fact he was told 3x. He refuses. At that point one of the local surfers came out to talk with the guy and the gringo takes a swing at him. The two fight in the water; the gringo gets beat and finally agrees to call it quits and head to shore.

Then like an idiot he approaches the other locals. And rather than calling it quits, he decides to maddog one of the locals (but can't back it up). At that point, he gets his second beating (which you saw on that clip). Personally, I think the locals were being nice. If that boy tried that in Rio De Janero (another big surfing locale), he'd be beaten far worse 'cause no one would intervene to stop the fight. They'd all just watch.

The Martial Arts are structured systems or traditions of training for either unarmed or armed combat, whereas the participant of said system(s)learn specific fighting skills, strategies of combat, and or self-defense techniques.

Basically we should come to agreement on certain things:

1. Was the event shown in the clip 'martial'?

Yes.

2. Was there an attacker and a defender?

Yes.

3. Did one or both participants, use a particular stragegy, tactic, or technique?

Yes.

-------------

From there we move into quality and or quantity. Which are irrelevant, just as who started the fight, or who provoked who, or whether it was good for our society, a depication of unwarranted violence, and so on.

Since we can break it down into parts, it could be considered a technique.

In my opinion, the technique was slow, broken, and sloppy, and the attacker in this case, took too many things for granted and made just as many mistakes as the defender.

So far as the quality of Martial intent or action, I would say that it was at a pretty low level.

A street brawl can be Martial, it just lacks many of the characterics of a more evolved situation with more skilled opponents.

Just some more thoughts...

:)

[/b]

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

The only thing that was particularly sloppy about the attacker in that fight was that he used no setup and telegraphed his takedown attempt. This is kinda irrelevant though, since even though he telegraphed, the defended didnt know what to do anyways.

As far as real fighting goes, its not always nice and neat and shows great technique. Lots of times it is ugly, nasty, and by no means pretty. There are lots of fighters who otherwise show great technique in a gym or whatnot, but look rather ugly when put on the spot.