• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Koryo Poomse

I know bits and peices of Koryo from my man. He had to learn it at one point, and asked advice on it (I trained longer eventhough he's a BB). I had to learn some of it to show him, but it was worth it.

But I found that koryo is quick to learn, but it takes a long time to get it "just right" technique-wise. Just keep plugging away at it. It will come in time.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just started learning this form. So far I find that making the side kicks as clean as possible is the hardest part of the form. It's easy to get lazy and not lock out the kick. Guess it's more side kick practice for me...

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Hey neil,

Yep, that's where my boyfriend had trouble (double side kicks). I know that part of the form well hehehehehe. He was loosing his balance, ect. But I told him if he chambered his first side kick, kick, then bring it back to chamber for the second one, he would be able to keep his balance better. It worked.

Some people just "flick" the side kicks (no chambering, ect) out on that part, and it annoys me to no end. I think it looks sharper if they employ the chamber better.

Oops, that was my koryo vent LOL. Then again, I'm a technique geek, and somewhat of a perfectionist LOL.

Anyways, if you feel like you are having a hard time with balance, use the chamber better. Or even do it slow for a while, then full speed. Or just work on that one peice of the form till you feel comfy with it.

Laurie F

Thanks Laurie. Balance isn't the problem for me it's just locking my kicks so they look nice that gives me trouble. The only real cure for that that I know is to build up leg strength by doing the kicks slowly and repeatedly. Later on speed will enter the equation.

Your right about chambering though. It's key to good balance and a nice kick.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Hey neil,

Yep, that's where my boyfriend had trouble (double side kicks). I know that part of the form well hehehehehe. He was loosing his balance, ect. But I told him if he chambered his first side kick, kick, then bring it back to chamber for the second one, he would be able to keep his balance better. It worked.

Some people just "flick" the side kicks (no chambering, ect) out on that part, and it annoys me to no end. I think it looks sharper if they employ the chamber better.

Oops, that was my koryo vent LOL. Then again, I'm a technique geek, and somewhat of a perfectionist LOL.

Anyways, if you feel like you are having a hard time with balance, use the chamber better. Or even do it slow for a while, then full speed. Or just work on that one peice of the form till you feel comfy with it.

Laurie:

In the school where I received my 1st Dan (& learned Koryo) all the students would watch the BB's do Koryo as a group. Until I was taught the form, I thought the 1st kick was a fake (because of the way it was done by the BB's). I have trouble w/ the balance w/ that technique, too.

Hey, a question on the techniques where your feet are together & you bring your hands together after they are over your head....Do ya do it slow, or fast? I was taught that it was a 10 count from the overhead position to the connection at your waist. How were you all taught it?

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Hey IcemanSK,

I too thought it was a fake (the first side kick), but the way my instructor explained it, it is not. It's an actual kick, but done fast at knee level.

As far as the part where your hands and feet come together, we do it slow.

But both of these peices of Koryo vary from dojang to dojang.

Niel, yep that will work too. Do that kick while holding onto a chair in slllooowwww motion. Hold your kick out as long as you can, then bring it back. If you do a couple of these, you will feel it in your hips. Great workout for leg strength.

Laurie F

Just remember that all techniques have a beginning and end. Practice the two kicks with that in mind and you will improve your balance-and eventually speed.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I am glad you are finding what you seek from others, and I hope the replies posted here will lead you to become more aware of those things needed in your own personal arsenal.

Good luck!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Well I began learing Koryo and I must honestly say this is the hardest one for me to pick up. I grabbed the taeguek forms in no time, speaking of remembering the poomse itself, and was able to practice at home with little problems. Koryo is much harder for me.

With that being said I will also say that Koryo is going to be my favorite form for its grace when done correctly as well as with a group. I seen 8 BB perform this and it looked GREAT.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.