• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Koryo Poomse

I recently tested for my blackbelt in TKD (WTF). At my school, after you take the blackbelt test, you have to wear a blackbelt with a white stripe running down it until you learn the blackbelt form (koryo). After that, you get your belt with your name embroidered on it, ect. I have learned a little over half of the koryo poomse, I'm at step 18, where you side kick and elbow and then turn the opposite way and do a groin strike. Anyway, i was wondering if anybody had any tips for learning that poomse and any common mistakes i should watch out for. There are 30 steps right?

A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that depends on how you count them ( the steps) and there are no real tricks to learning the form-just repetition. It is a powerful and intense form and should be done with precision and attention to detail. Of course all forms should be done this way but Koryo is...special!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

The first time I learned Koryo, I thought I had it down pretty well. I performed it the same as all of the other forms that I knew (mostly Chung-Ji patterns). Before I tested, I met with an Instructor and he tore my form apart. I don’t think I have any advice that I could share over electronic communication without seeing you perform the form except, make sure that your kicks are right on target. Don’t try to kick too high; low kick usually means knee level (depending on school), high kick means your head level.

Watch the other Black Belts perform and make note of every detail (especially timing) and speak with your Instructor(s) for details. After learning the form, observing others and speaking with experienced Black Belts, video tape yourself doing the form and compare it to others.

Good luck. Koryo truly is a great form.

I would echo what's been said so far. But would add, don't feel like you have to memorize it in the next 5 minutes. Enjoy this time. Ask as many questions as you can about it. Keep doin' it until & fun, then do it because it's fun.

Don't worry about that BB w/ the white stripe. You won't wear it forever. And, that one w/ the embroidery on it that ya want so bad, you will wear forever. Don't be in a hurry. It belongs to you already.

Congratulations :karate:

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Koryo is a great poomse, and a fun one to perform, but there is one mistake in particular that really get me when i see it. I saw the kid in the video that was posted here some time ago do it, and I see it many many times.

The side kicks you will do in this poomse. Too many times..i see people just slinging their foot into the air, not a side kick. As everyone here probably knows, a side kick should be properly chambered, with the knee coming to the body, and thrusting forward. basically using your butt muscle. the shoulder on the same side of the kicking leg should be turned away from the target. I see so many people just chamber, then extent their leg out, just extending at the knee, so its basically a roundhouse, they just have their foot turned into a side kick position. Also, I see so many people trying to kick 7 feet into the air. This is simply my humble opinion, but i think the chin makes the perfect home for the side kick. A proper sidekick at chin level looks 100 times better than a sloppy foot thrown into the air, turned sideways, at a target a foot over your own head. I urge you to look at that video that was posted, and you can see a perfect example of an improper side kick. But then again, that kid one 1st place for that poomse, so if you are looking to collect trophy's, his version might be better.

Todd

Probably can't give you tips without looking at it. For now just make sure that your basic form skills are sharp. Ie - breathe well, make sure your stances are defined, don't have limbs just laying about during your form if you have special moves in them, make sure your kicks are crisp and all at a consistent height for each different kick. If there are slower parts and faster parts, distinguish between both. Make sure you're always looking where you're supposed to look, etc etc you're a black belt so you probably should be aware of all the many factors.

Good advice above.

Been a while since I've done it...

Every move is a form in itself, as with all forms, the final part of each move sets you up for the next...

Are you looking where you are kicking?

So many times you see someone throw a sidekick to the left or right and they're looking straight ahead, or at the floor, etc.

Is you heel higher than your toes when throwing the sidekick?

Is your supporting heel facing the target?

Are you looking where you are punching?

Are you looking before kicking?

Just because the next move is a left sidekick doesn't mean you just throw your leg out, look, chamber, kick...

Remember, during any form you are reacting to an opponent.... albeit an imaginary one...

Are you looking before turning, just a split second, look, turn.... kick, block, punch etc.

It's the details... timing, pause, explosiveness, etc., that separates the men from the boys...

Good luck.