• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knee Replacement

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with the others. As unfortunate as your situation is, I would find another doctor or two and talk to them about your situation. Ideally one with some experience working with athletes.

Just like every other profession, there are good doctors and bad ones, experienced and inexperienced. Your doctor may just be very cautious, or have no experience with those who try to resume MA type activities after this kind of surgery. Perhaps it is possible if done properly and with the right modifications.

If after that it still turns out kicking is out of the question, find an art you enjoy that doesn't emphasize the kicking, or like somebody else said, doesn't have any kicking at all, like boxing.

You also might be able to find an instructor in an art that will be ok with having you as a student even if you can't do most of the kicking portions. I know our instructor will make allowances for age and physical limitations, like bad backs or knees. Of course he wants you to try to work with it and improve it, but if you can't kick high, no problem. Do what you can.

Get an opinion from a Sports Medicine doctor. I've had ACL replacements on both of my knees and still compete in martial arts. I can't do some of the same techniques I use to do before my injuries but there is indeed martial arts life after surgeries even if it will be a bit different. Martial arts has such a wide activity range that there's something out there for everybody. Don't rush right away to get back into full training either. Follow your physiotherapist's advice to the letter. You don't want any setbacks.

Good luck

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

You might ask your doctor about cycling as a physical therapy. Of course I don't know how extensive the damage is done but I can relate. I've screwed up my knees from trying to run too much too soon. My doctor suggested cycling as an alternative. I never went back to running and cycling has allowed me to start my MA training again. It may take some time but its better than never being able to at all. I've also taken glucosamine tablets for a while and I think that's also had an effect.

Cycling on a stationary bike was a big part of my rehab after both of my ACL knee surgeries. They also did lots of exercises to strengthen the joints and increase the range of motion to prepare for a comeback to activity.

Clint

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been away from the forum for a while. The surgery went well. Rehab on the other hand is a slow and very painful process. Getting the range of motion back is the tough part. Getting there though.

The group that I train with are heavy into the tuite and kyusho and Uechi Ryu isn’t a big kicking style so that helps. I will be modifying my training though, I don’t want to do anything to screw up this new knee. I wouldn’t want to go through this again any time soon.

Thanks for all of your support.

Rich

More Practice

Good luck in your rehab. There will be a light at the end of the tunnel. After both of my knee surgeries, I'm still competing in martial arts (NASKA) but I don't do jumps anymore. In addition to martial arts, I'm also able to work part time this winter as a ski instructor. Again, I don't do anything crazy like ski jumps either. So you should be able to do your activities after a successful rehab as long as you don't do anything wild.

Clint