• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knee Replacement

Well I’m going to be laid up for a while. I’m having knee replacement surgery in three week. I’m told that full recovery can take up to four months. And after recovery the Doctor doesn’t want me to train any more. Really sucks.

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

More Practice

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'll keep in my prayers.

Take care, and stay strong!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

This doesn't have to be a death sentence for your studies.

Example:

My father tore out his knee about 20 years ago. He opted not to have surgery. I built it back up, and it was stronger than before. This of course can't happen with everyone, but it could be possible. Doctors would tell you otherwise.

Wow....good luck on your surgery. I just read up of Stan Schmidt, JKA BB from South Africa. He had to have double hip replacement surgery after a bad car accident some years back. He still trains, and obviously had to alter his training, ie..no deep stances and all. So it is still possible to stay active in MA with some modifications to your training :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I think your Doctor is just erroring on the side of caution. I would give it some time, then test the way. You might not be able to hit up kicking like before, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to train in MA, or a different style that's less striking.

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Our sensei had knee surgery last January. He was able to do forms again at full speed by June. He teaches class for at least an hour a night four nights a week. Granted he can no longer squat as much weight as he might like, he used to teach for TWO hours a night instead of one so he has cut back, and granted our style is VERY traditionally Okinawan Shorin Ryu so we don't kick a lot at all, but his surgery most certainly did not force him to cease his training. It's just another challenge for a true martial artist to overcome. :karate: It's very inspiring to watch how it hasn't slowed him down. There's an older gentleman in our dojo who has no cartilage (sp?) left in his right knee and he still comes to Kobudo class once a week.

I am NOT an expert but your doctor is being WAY too conservative if you ask me.

• 1 month later...

That sux. I hate to hear about that happening to anyone. Like some other guys said though, you might be able to build it back up. Just don't force it, you don't want to damage it more after the surgery.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."