• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cowboy Bebop, Spike's Martial Art

Some of my favorite parts of cowboy bebop are spike's fight scenes because I'm big into martial arts and they're very well done.

However, I can't tell what he does. I know, I know, every website out there says he does "Jeet Kune Do," but if you have any knowledge of martial arts you'll know that you don't learn Jeet Kune Do, you learn a martial art and refine it to your likings, that is Jeet Kune Do.

Seeing as how he is a big fan of bruce lee :up: he may have learned Wing Chun, like Lee.

If anyone has a gif animation or something of his fight scene in the first episode, maybe I could study it better then using the crappy rewind tool on windows media... thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. you can learn jkd. there are several groups - original jkd (jun fan), which is what I trained, jkd concepts, SBG, etc...

2. the anime never mentions what spike trains, only that he is a fan of a character with a name similar to lee. There are several references to bruce though:

- spike says "be like water", as lee did. I believe that was in the "waltz for venus" episode.

- spike uses nunchucks.

- spike throws fast, high kicks.

- one of the bounties is abdul hakim - kareem abdul jabaar played in a bruce lee movie with the name hakim.

3. studying the anime will not help - it's anime. It will NOT look like his fighting style, because they aren't that concerned with it.

watch naruto - do they look like ninja?

watch ranma 1/2 - does that look like kenpo?

watch fatal fury - does andy's style look like kung fu?

I could go on with similar examples all day. Just because a style is named in an anime, that doesn't mean the the charatcter using the style will look like a representative of that style.

4. Seeing the high kicks and jumping should be an indication that it is not wing chun, assuming that he actually does look like his style.

I'd think since he was in the synidcate, that he had some kind of troubled youth. Therefore he is just an experenced street fighter, and has used part of Bruce's philosophy of using what works for him. Not to mention he probably got the best training available from the Red Dragons.

If you want to see the best fight scenes, go out and buy Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, Knocking On Heaven's Door. If you liked the show, then you won't be dissapointed in the movie.

"No. That's where I keep my midget, now leave before I call the Jewish."

I'd think since he was in the synidcate, that he had some kind of troubled youth. Therefore he is just an experenced street fighter, and has used part of Bruce's philosophy of using what works for him. Not to mention he probably got the best training available from the Red Dragons.

If you want to see the best fight scenes, go out and buy Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, Knocking On Heaven's Door. If you liked the show, then you won't be dissapointed in the movie.

I saw the movie like a year before it was released in the US. Loved it.

unfamiliar with cowboy bebop..

assuming it a movie. suonds worth checking out

Watch the series before you watch the movie.

I'm not really sure that you have to. In some anime, the movies are tied to the series, but this one is not. It takes place midway between the bebop series and doesn't really reference any events in the series, if I remember correctly.