• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin VS Kick Boxing, Shotokan or KungFu.

Its Kyokushin rules.

Kung Fu guys tend to be very flashy but have no real striking power.

Tomo

Some but not all of us.

Ehmmm.. Well said

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kickboxers have very good stamina- you are not likely to tire them out.MAke them come to you.(try to counter what they throw at you, but dont try to exchange hits with them as they are trained to take advantage in that situation)

Karate practitioners, try fast hands, chances are they will open with a kick.

Kung Fu practitioners- depends on the style- mostly, watch out for the hands.(this varies a lot)

Kung Fu practitioners are fast, most I know are in very good shape.

Use pure power against these and avoid using any kind of strike that can leave an opening for too long.(no flashy kicks, a closed guard)

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Its Kyokushin rules.

Kung Fu guys tend to be very flashy but have no real striking power.

Tomo

Some but not all of us.

Ehmmm.. Well said

Lol, they might not have real striking power, but if they can get 10 hits in by the time the opponent hits once,they might get the advantage.

a friend of mine from Kung fu had a lot of speed, mixed it up with training to grow stronger and delivered hard and really fast strikes- very hard to counter

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

If its a 'Kyoksuhin rules' tournament' low kicks, knees and no face punches, then.... there coming into your domain! shotokan 'traditional' dos'nt focus on the low round kick or defending against it so they may have trouble with you in that department.. Just go fight 'your' fight and dont worry what they can do or cant do..good luck

OSU!

Im a 2nd blue in kyokushin and im about to take part in an open competition against kick boxers, kung fu ppls and shotokan fighters.

Did the tournament take place already? If so, how did it go and what happened? I'm interested in hearing you describe, in as much detail as you have the time or patience to write, exactly how your matches in the tournament go or went and if they followed the patterns that previous posters have predicted in this thread.

My organization is sponsoring a full-contact, knockdown tournament in my area at the end of January. Since our rules are geared towards Sabaki-method practitioners (Enshin and Ashihara), most of the competitors I understand usually come from those organizations. However, we also get participants from Muay Thai, Kyokushin, and other styles and I'm looking forward to seeing how the different styles who enter do against each other.

Hi,

I am nidan in traditional shotokan and I have engaged in full contact tournaments in various states and the only people that ever gave me trouble were other traditional shotokan practicioners and some traditional goju-ryu and jujitsu ones. Kyokushinkai were very strong and had good spirit but had poor balance so my dachi barai was my main technique agaisnt them and they spent a lot of time on the floor! Actually goju ryu karatekas were as strong as kyokushinkai but with better, more refined technique. MMA-fighters just didntt have good striking technique and a low, soild gedan barai is the best takedown defense I have learned. The TKd practicioners that I have faced were fast, athletic but didnt take strikes well at all.

I dont go to a commercial dojo, but rather have learned form my sensei as a lifelong apprentice and friend. Any traditional art is good if you take the time to learn the techniques well, even if it is onlya few techniques.

Actually, I wont to go open tournaments anymore becasue my sensei asked me to stop it, and I feel more comfortable than ever with my traditional shotokan after testing it out there.

yours in budo,

Geronimo

• 4 weeks later...
so let me get this straight, you are agreeing when he says those arts dont train on how to yake a hit :-? In my opinion I just still dont agree :(

Its not that they train you to take a hit. It's that for the most part TKD and Shotokan (and other styles) teach the point system of sparring. The people who practice these system have a tendency to lightly hit then back away (because that is what they are trained to do). When they are in a match with a Kyokushin person they still have problems getting out of that mindset, so when they run up and "love tap" the Kyokushin guy he just gets mad and pummels the TKD guy. That happens 9 times out of 10.

Now there are some good TKD guys out there who actually train in the traditional (Korean TKD) ways which include taking more hits and not point spar. However for the most part TKD doesn't fare well in full contact bouts.

You are severly misled if you think TKD practitioners train for point sparring. Any olympic TKD school trains for full contact. My school teaches nothing but full contact. I have visited a bunch of other schools in my area, and none of them teach point sparring either. I don't understand why everyone keeps saying that TKD guys train for point sparring and they can't take hits. I competed in the CT state open and in the Massachusettes TKD open and it's all full contact. Maybe you guys just have crappy schools in your areas or something. Sorry didn't mean to get off on a rant, but I have been hearing that way too much and I think that it's very misleading to people that have never studied TKD themselves. I feal that TKD is a very powerful style. My Sa Bum Nim told me about several tournaments they competed in in Korea where they were only open to TKD and Muay Thai because there were too many people from other styles coming in and getting hurt, becasue they only train for point sparring and not for full contact.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

You can't rule out whole styles in my opinion and say "oh the guys from this type of system are nothing to worry about....."

It really is kind of ridiculous to speak like that....

Even within the same style, or from the same dojo from that matter, are going to be guys (and girls) who have limited moves and are not good at adapting or improvising, and guys and girls who will do whatever they can and whatever it takes...

To say Tae Kwon Do guys won't give you trouble is a big mistake, just like saying the Karate or Kung fu Competitors will not give you trouble.

I'm used to Karate and am only beginning to understand Tae Kwon Do, but don't expect people under the umbrella of Tae Kwon Do to just try and sit back and do weird kicks at you.

I have been out of Karate for a while now but If I was "representing" Tae Kwon Do I would do everything I could to confuse you and surprise you using my old karate training... Come in close fists flying, then shin kicks which I never learnt in either Karate or Tae Kwon Do, then kicks, whatever I can do.

I guess the point of my post is that I find it really rude to discount whole styles. I'm not even saying anyone really did that in this thread, just don't prejudge please, and understand that the individual represents the system, don't let the system represent an individual.

All the best,

Tom

It's okay to compare and contrast, and give opinions in threads such as these. But in many respects, it's not fair to say that one particular style will always win, or lose, or always does this or that.

I have learned, and still am learning ~ that sweeping, all inclusive statements do little good for the communication of the forum.

TKD(and other styles), depending on the persons skill and aptitude, and how such style is taught, will be contributing factors as to the individuals capacity to survive, thrive, or "dive" under duress, or in a combative situation.

To me, there are not guarantees in life, save for life and death (and taxes...lol)

;)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

so let me get this straight, you are agreeing when he says those arts dont train on how to yake a hit :-? In my opinion I just still dont agree :(

Its not that they train you to take a hit. It's that for the most part TKD and Shotokan (and other styles) teach the point system of sparring. The people who practice these system have a tendency to lightly hit then back away (because that is what they are trained to do). When they are in a match with a Kyokushin person they still have problems getting out of that mindset, so when they run up and "love tap" the Kyokushin guy he just gets mad and pummels the TKD guy. That happens 9 times out of 10.

Now there are some good TKD guys out there who actually train in the traditional (Korean TKD) ways which include taking more hits and not point spar. However for the most part TKD doesn't fare well in full contact bouts.

You are severly misled if you think TKD practitioners train for point sparring. Any olympic TKD school trains for full contact. My school teaches nothing but full contact. I have visited a bunch of other schools in my area, and none of them teach point sparring either. I don't understand why everyone keeps saying that TKD guys train for point sparring and they can't take hits. I competed in the CT state open and in the Massachusettes TKD open and it's all full contact. Maybe you guys just have crappy schools in your areas or something. Sorry didn't mean to get off on a rant, but I have been hearing that way too much and I think that it's very misleading to people that have never studied TKD themselves. I feal that TKD is a very powerful style. My Sa Bum Nim told me about several tournaments they competed in in Korea where they were only open to TKD and Muay Thai because there were too many people from other styles coming in and getting hurt, becasue they only train for point sparring and not for full contact.

I have to say I agree with Tomo. We have guys come into our dojo all the time who are black belts in Tae Kwon Do. I haven't seen a single one of them who can hold their own, esp on the ground. Kung Fu guys really do tend to be flashy, or at least in the Baltimore area. We have had a few of them show up as well, they didn't fare very well...

John