• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin VS Kick Boxing, Shotokan or KungFu.

OSU!

Im a 2nd blue in kyokushin and im about to take part in an open competition against kick boxers, kung fu ppls and shotokan fighters.

What should I watch out for?

Kick boxing and Shotokan is kind of similar to kyokushin, or at least kind of understandable. But kung fu? what should i expect from them?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry about the competitors, simply understand the rules very well, and you'll understand what is expected of you and not expected out of your adversaries. In this way, you have a supreme advantage over your opponents. Why? Because you will know your limitations (based on the rules of the competition, and your own abilities) and you will know the battlefield (the rules of the competition that limit everyone).

It is not reasonable to attempt to understand your opponent, until you have had opportunity to 'examine' your opponent in action. My recommendation is look at the tree that most competitions present, and determine which opponents you may likely be pitted against... then to watch them compete. Don't dwell on what they do right... focus more on what they do wrong. But, of course, realize what their preferences are so that you're not caught flatfooted.

The ultimate goal here is to focus on winning, so don't think too much on defense... instead look for the weaknesses your opponents present in order that you may exploit those weaknesses through offensive actions. If you focus on what they present well in attacks, you will set your mind for defense, which provides no option for winning.

As to answering your question specifically, there are a multitude of kung fu systems out there, so there is absolutely no way anyone here can effectively present what you should 'expect.' I think it's the wrong way to approach this thing anyway. Focus on what you will do to them, not what they may do to you.

Last, i had a friend who repeatedly won junior national championships. He perfected a few techniques and applied them religiously to every fight. He 'literally' ignored the opponent and simply walked in and committed his actions, then walked out. By sheer will, he prevailed over his opponents, denying them any options other than to 'try and stop him.' I.e., he immediately caused them to go on the defensive, thus ensuring they could not win.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Groin protectors.

:)

Shotokan fighters tend to strike with hands, so will want you close. Kickboxers like distance, and want you on the run.

Keep your eyes on the opponent, cause you can't hit what you can't see, and you can't avoid it either.

There are not definites in these types of situations.

Just focus on tapping into the place where your entire body only wants to win. In starts in your brain, and then at some point radiates throughout your body.

White W. said much of what was needed.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

What are the competition rules ? Are they similar to kyokushin or kickboxing ? Either ways I assume it's going to be full contact which will give u advantage over shotokan and probably kung fu , I've been in similar competitions in the past , the only thing you need is to trust yourself , never hesitate , never take your strikes back , always be on the offense .

From my experience in previous open tournaments , most kung fu practitioners used low stances , knee them in the face if they do so . Gedan mawashi geri to the inside tight is very useful against both shotokan and kung fu practitioners since they are not used to it , also if the KB guys where from an American kickboxing school , use ur low kicks elbows and knees . kickboxing guard is a little bit higher than kyokushin guard so you may want to target their ribs and stomach with ur hand strikes (shita tsuki) .

Good luck

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Thanks for all the feedback.

White Warlock i totaly agree in gaining confidence in knowing the rules. and to FORCE the opponent into the defencive? im gonna b pondering on that one tomorrow at work.

shogeri, the tapping into the WIN part of the brain sounds nice. I'll ponder on it more.

y2_sub. Its Kyokushin rules. Ive got strong punches, but what i want to know is are the shotokan peoples conditioned on their upper body?

Low stances? im thinking of sweeps. but gedan mawashi geri to the inside sounds nice aswel.

High guards? im thinking of knocking their ribs.

I forgot to mention taikwondo guys. I know they r good with their legs but are they powerfull? everyone makes them sound like jokes but im not going to underestimate them.

O S U !

Its Kyokushin rules.

Takezo,

I wouldn't worry about the Shotokan guys much if its Kyokushin rules. If any of them are JKA fighters they would be kicked out of the organization if Mr. Okazaki caught word of it. So they are totally out of their game.

Your biggest competition in my opinion would be the kickboxers. However they tend to not be well trained. Most of them tend to be very amatuer. If there are any Dai do Juku guys they could be dangerous as well, but those are far and few between in the states.

Kung Fu guys tend to be very flashy but have no real striking power.

Lastly, the TKD guys. They are usually fast, and will throw kicks to the head a lot, but they tend to want to strike then back away. They train to do this because of the typical rules that they train with. I use to do lots of competitions when I was stationed in Korea, and at the time I was Shotokan. I never had any problems with them. They would come in and strike fast, but if you got a good Gyaku Zuki you could nail them nearly everytime.

Good luck with your competition. I'm sure you will do fine. :)

Tomo

Tomo Kagawa

--------------------------------------

https://www.saishuryu.com

Your biggest competition in my opinion would be the kickboxers.

Agreed

If there are any Dai do Juku guys they could be dangerous

Daidu juku guys are amazing , pure brutality :karate:

If it's kyokushin rules , then u have nothing to worry about , shotokan , kung fu and TKd practioners - even KB guys - are not as conditioned to take hard strikes as kyokushin karateka , just do what you have learned in the dojo , and stay away of flashy kicks .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike