• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

has anyone ever underestimate a person

In sparring I usually have the opportunity to watch the guy before I spar him, so I haven't yet made the mistake of underestimating someone in that arena.

In other area's of martial arts I have been pleasantly surprised by certain people. I have a student right now that started about 4 months ago with high functioning autism who moves a lot better then then many of my students that started a year ago. Looking at his frail stature, you would expect him to be overly tense and twitchy, but he's amazingly fluid for someone with no previous MA experience and his memory for pattern and ability to imitate is frightening at times.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most low kicks are effective and difficult to defend. Especailly when it is delivered when you least expected it. I had once asked my Sensei about why he's low kicks had a great impact compared to mine. Considering that I am not overweight and deliverd it as almost as his. And then he replide that he used the priciple of "Putting your body weight at your foot". I thought that was just a joke because literally it is illogical to think. How could I possibly shift my body weight and to my foot which I will be suing for the low kick. But when he explained it to me, I did understand the theory behind and it is indeed "science at work". It took me one week to absorb that principle both mentally and physically.

• 2 weeks later...

I get this all the time, I'm 39 and built like a stump, I'm short and fat.Lol.But I can kick, and I am very fast with my hands. The best example of this I have seen was at a tournament when a young mans mother wanted to know why her Green belt son was grouped with the other kids his age and not with the brown and blacks. The only person in his age/rank group was a girl and she did not "pay to see him fight a girl". She was going to pull him from the tournament and go home but I convinced her to keep him in. She said the match would only last until he hit the girl once. Well he never touched her, her kicks were so fast and accurate that she scored all 3 points one right after the other. He has not been back to class since then.

i luv being underestimated like in my current dojo i was sparring with this one guy 100x my size (i mean he was big) but i just had better tech than him an brutillized him cause he thiught he was stronger he doesnt like training with me now after that embarassment :( :lol:

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"