• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

3rd Kyu Test - Shotokan Karate

Psilokan

Well I've been invited to test for my 3rd Kyu (Brown belt) at the end of the month. I'm not too nervous, as I know I wouldn't have been invited to test if I didnt stand a good shot at passing.

What I would like to get my hands on is a copy of the grading syllabus for the testing. I scoured google w/o much luck. I've seen it floating around on the net in the past when I tested for green, just cant seem to relocate it.

So if someone could point me in the right direction, or perhaps share their experiences with testing for their 3rd kyu, I would greatly appreciate it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ask your instructor, I'm sure he/she would be more than willing to help.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

ask your instructer for the exact requirements of your club ,you are about to enter on to a platform to aim for black belt .that means starting to learn how to put all those basic techniques together ,making them sharper and sharper .

as one starts to sparr more and more with black belts at this stage ,one learns how to relax more in order to try to score or get away .the rate of losing to opponents in sparring is high at the beggining but gradually it should improve .

my advice is practice your basics ,punches, kicks ,blocks .first slow with tension and correct form and correct stance with deep breath , a number of times .while you do this you are teaching your brain the way it should be done ! while you are doing this slow with tension in your body you sould cociously think of the technique and at the end ,feel the target penetration ,do not hold your breath ! very important .

then do it as fast as you can emphasising on relaxed body until the last instance and a short kiaie .

the more you can relax your body until last the faster you can move and this will help you a lot when as a brown belt you constantly sparr with black belts and seniors ,it will also save a lot of pain !

it is important to realise and not to give up ! as you see in my signature ! it is what my sensei used to say when I had to face him in free sparring after half an hour of sparring and changing partners with the whole club , I knew there was no way he will go easy when I just wanted to collapse from fatigue ,he used to say don't giveup ! no matter what !

I hope you find my post useful and good luck !

don't forget to practice tekki shodan ,kiba dachi is very important part of it ,practice them as much as you can especially the stepping .

never give up !

So if someone could point me in the right direction, or perhaps share their experiences with testing for their 3rd kyu, I would greatly appreciate it.

Exam requirements differ organization-to-organization and often dojo-to-dojo within an organization and sometimes even differ from one test to the next in the same dojo, administered by the same instrutor! So there is no way to know 100% for sure what you will be required to do.

If you are a member of a dojo in a JKA-affiliated organization (ISKF or SKdI), I can could tell you what is "officially" required on those exams. But even those sometimes differ slightly depending on where/when you test.

KarateForum rules forbid me from pointing to a link on my own website. So if you want the official JKA rank requirments, you can look up my dojo website and (no links there to point you to this so you must type it out) add to the end of it "/JKAexams.html"

I think you may also still be able to find some info on kyu exam requirements on https://www.24fightingchickens.com. But I am not sure if it in the new version of that website.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your advice. I asked my Sensei what I needed to work on for the grading, and he told me to focus on my breathing, and not to be so tense. He wouldnt tell me exactly what was involved for the test, but then again I didnt really expect him to. However I was lucky enough to have a pre-test the day before with another one of my instructors. So I went into last night's grading with the utmost confidence in myself (which is rare, every other test I've been sweating bullets for). I was actually very lucky, because I was able to get my results that night (we usually have to wait a while). I am proud to say that I passed, and that it is time to step it up another level. My guess is by the end of the week I'll be wishing I failed that test! :P

Oh and jkeeling - to answer your question, our dojo is part of the ITKF.