• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone have personal space

Call me paranoid or somethin but doesent any one else have personal space that no one is allowed to enter. (like total complete strangers) If I am walking down the street and if the other person is walking towords me I walk around, him with a friendly smile of coarse :D

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Everyone has personal space issues. If they don't, it's considered a psychiatric disorder. Personal space differs widely based on culture, age, gender and lifestyle. Latins tend to be more contact-oriented, which tends to make Americans and British uncomfortable, etc.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Everyone has personal space issues. If they don't, it's considered a psychiatric disorder. Personal space differs widely based on culture, age, gender and lifestyle. Latins tend to be more contact-oriented, which tends to make Americans and British uncomfortable, etc.

Yep. Americans and British tend to have some of the largest personal spaces around. If I remember correctly from some of my classes, most Americans tend to define a 6' circle around them as their personal space, and inside of 3' as their "intimate" space. Latins and Asians are much much closer, although Latins have much more tendency towards contact than do Asians.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

If I remember correctly from some of my classes, most Americans tend to define a 6' circle around them as their personal space,

Catch me on a bad day and make that space 60'.... ;)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 3 weeks later...

We actually teach this to the kids in out classes. When we are working on safety and strangers we teach them "zones" that they should feel comfortable with and how close they think they should let someone get before feeling uncomfortable.

Some days it seems my personal space is line of sight.

Everybody has their own definition of what htey consider personal space. For one person, it might be 6', another it might be 2'. In a fight situation I tell my students that their personal space is that space between them and an attacker that makes them feel non-threatened.

Myself, I'm comfortable if the attacker is just at arms reach or more. Any closer and he's fair game IMHO.

There are always exceptions of course. for instance, if she's REALLY cute, then my personal space is usually much smaller. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

In class before, we've done drills to develop this "zone" and know exactly what it feels like when someone is breaching it. Even during point sparring it can be useful because why waste your time blocking a technique well outside your little bubble or "zone"?

The sad part is that the American society is no different in regards to promoting better marital and sexual relationships.

It seems that both run rampid in the society in which I live with little or no consideration for the consequences when something goes wrong.

In other words, we might have larger personal spaces, but our promiscuity has been thrown out the window along with any true sense of relational responsibility.

:D

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how much of this has to do with population density in the area you reside. I've noticed that my friends from the east coast of the US have much smaller circles of personal space than my friends from the midwest, which generally has fewer people.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Call me paranoid or somethin but doesent any one else have personal space that no one is allowed to enter. (like total complete strangers) If I am walking down the street and if the other person is walking towords me I walk around, him with a friendly smile of coarse :D

I dont think its much of a problem for teenagers, in highschool you walk down the hallways you bump in to everyone. so i guess you can get use to it.