Losing Rank/Being Demoted

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my instructor has threatened to demote within colored belt rank if you forget your material. Also, a brown belt student, who was very close to testing for black belt, has returned after a very long absence, and the instructor is making him retest for his brown belt curriculum before he can proceed to his black belt test.

That makes sense.

-Adam

Well, my instructor has threatened to demote within colored belt rank if you forget your material. Also, a brown belt student, who was very close to testing for black belt, has returned after a very long absence, and the instructor is making him retest for his brown belt curriculum before he can proceed to his black belt test.

That makes sense.

-Adam

That's the way it is in our school as well. You can come in to our dojangh and your rank will be honored, but you will not be able to test higher until you can demonstrate all lower rank material up to your current rank.

Which poses an interesting question, I know Mike Chat (XMA creator) did the 4th degree form when he tested into the ATA as a 4th degree, did they make him learn all the forms first as well? :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I have seen a black belt be taken away in my school, three weeks ago during BB class my instructor kept shouting at a fellow student that was in colledge. he was a 2nd degree bb and he wasnt doing a techneque right finally my instructor walked over and took his belt and told him to go home hes still working to get it back :(

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands

Well, a style based upon technique, I could see something like this happening. Mine is more principle based, along with hands on application of various situations, in order to demonstrate a solid foundation of dynamic combative thinking.

These things would be apparent prior or during a Black Belt Test, so if one of my instructors or for some unlikely reason, myself, missed something like this, than in all reality it's also a reflection upon me.

Now if there has been a huge gap in time, and they have slipped up on their techniques or principles, well that should be expected. Again, the Belt is a snapshot of a given time in their life, in which they learned something tangible, and knew how to put it to use.

Just because you give someone a gun, doesn't mean that they have to keep it loaded, and continue to know how to use it.

They should do so for themselves first, and not for the person who gave them such a tool in the first place. Out of respect, in some way, yes.

:)

More thoughts...

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

That makes sense.

-Adam

That's the way it is in our school as well. You can come in to our dojangh and your rank will be honored, but you will not be able to test higher until you can demonstrate all lower rank material up to your current rank.

Which poses an interesting question, I know Mike Chat (XMA creator) did the 4th degree form when he tested into the ATA as a 4th degree, did they make him learn all the forms first as well? :D

Aodhan

You're back! :karate:

From what I understand (read) he went thru all lower belt forms thru 3rd degree (I'm sure he had no problem with) then he had to certify as an instructor. Did he go thru the entire 9 SSI seminars, probably not. Just the basic first three and the first test.

Can you immagine the pressure at his test.........he was up there by himself, correct?

-Adam

From what I understand (read) he went thru all lower belt forms thru 3rd degree (I'm sure he had no problem with) then he had to certify as an instructor. Did he go thru the entire 9 SSI seminars, probably not. Just the basic first three and the first test.

Can you immagine the pressure at his test.........he was up there by himself, correct?

-Adam

I don't know, I wasn't at Worlds (Even though I qualified) when he did his testing.

Oh, and the SSI seminars are a thing of the past, they've moved to a much better structure for instructor training. I think they did away with SSI in.....2001 ish?

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

-Adam

I don't know, I wasn't at Worlds (Even though I qualified) when he did his testing.

Oh, and the SSI seminars are a thing of the past, they've moved to a much better structure for instructor training. I think they did away with SSI in.....2001 ish?

Aodhan

Probably.......I don't know. I've been with the HTF sense 1999 or so. We have one big certification camp, pass or fail. Simple hu? ROFL

• 3 weeks later...

If a Blue belt can mop the floor with a Black belt, does the color matter anymore?

I have known former street fighters who came in as white belts and could have destroyed the instructor in a fight. There is more to rank than being able to defeat anyone at any level. In my years I have never heard of anyone losing belt rank. I have heard of organizations or schools not recognizing/honoring the rank within the school or organization...for reasons related to ultimate disrespect and such things.

Idon't remember how, in Japan, such things are handled. It would be interesting if someone knew that. Rank revocation may be an American things... :-?

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Back in America, if a student did something against the tenents of taekwondo, or somehow brought shame on our dojang(by that I mean some serious offense like getting arrested for drugs, or running away from home for the teens) then he would take your belt(whatever color it was) and give you a "pink" belt to wear to class for a month or so. To get your normal belt back, you would have to go to the testing with students who were testing for new rank, and perform all the required elements up to your level, and then write an essay on what you did wrong, and why you deserve your rank back.

To my knowledge, this never hapenned to any adults, I only saw it with kids and teens a few times. It wasnt something that happened often.

Todd