• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Seiku-Kai

Locutus

I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of Shotokan Seiku-Kai in Toronto, Canada. The instructor is Shihan Takahashi. I was curious as to what type of Shotokan he teaches (JKA, CSKA, etc). It seems traditional from what I can see on the website (http://www.seiku-kai.com/). Thanks for any information you can give me.

Cheers,

Locutus

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry, I never heard of this group either. I looked at the kanji of the name and it translates roughly as "(sei) truthful (ku) empty- (kai) union". Which "seiku" as far as I know, means something like "scriptures"(?).

As for this schools roots, Seikukai seems to be fairly well organized in Japan. To what I can read the style seems heavily sports oriented. There are 1/2 dozen associated schools in Japan with its headquarters in Osaka. From what little I can tell they are somehow related to Shukokai.

Hmmm...Sport Oriented eh? I am not sure if that is the direction I want to take. Does anyone have a little more info on Shukokai? Is it like Shotokan, or is it a completely different style?

Hmmm...Sport Oriented eh? I am not sure if that is the direction I want to take. Does anyone have a little more info on Shukokai? Is it like Shotokan, or is it a completely different style?

I am going to claim relative ignorance here but out of curiosity I did some searching... Shuko-kai is a Shito-ryu offshoot. Shito-ryu is not all that different from Shotokan except there are a whole lot more kata in Shito-ryu. Shuko-kai from what I see on the web appears to look pretty "shotokan-ish" to me.

As for the main subject, Seiku-kai, being they actually have the name "shotokan" in their title would make me believe they are an offshoot there but no where can I find any direct connection. Having some sort of implied alliance with Shuko-kai make it even more confusing.

So my SWAG at this is that Seiku-kai is a shotokan sub-set but politically aligned outside of the shotokan structure. It appears to be more sports oriented. But the web site on the specific school does not seem to support this. Thus, confusion. Are they or aren't they? I've had fun chasing down the info for you but at this point you are on your own. Go visit and ask this Takahashi dude what's his story. :D

• 1 year later...
I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of Shotokan Seiku-Kai in Toronto, Canada. The instructor is Shihan Takahashi. I was curious as to what type of Shotokan he teaches (JKA, CSKA, etc). It seems traditional from what I can see on the website (http://www.seiku-kai.com/). Thanks for any information you can give me.

Cheers,

Locutus

I'm curious about this as well, anyone with information?