• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what's a sine wave in martial arts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Can anyone tell me what a sine wave is? I remember discussing it in high school algebra, but recently some of you have referred to it in terms of martial arts.

Enlighten me, please.

Its only a part of the way the ITF has done the Chang Hon forms in recent years. Its not part of all MA, or all of TKD for that matter. I'll leave it to those who knows what it is exactly to help define it. All I recall, is that it seemed to me to be an unnecessary movement while doing forms.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

actually we use it in gtf aswell..........um im not sure if i can do a good job of explaining........but my understanding is that you drop your mass down a couple inches as performing a punch......its supposed to add power and speed

Yes that is an excellent explanation :) also in ITF there is the draw back of the hips, that also ads power and speed. in the ITF we use simple physics to our art that gives us a dramatic difference in speed and power.

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands

The actions were given a 'cute' title, but have absolutely no comparison or connection to the algebraic equation.

Btw, i developed a new approach. I call it the, "self-replicating extra-chromosomal circular" approach.

ooo, i'm so scientific, eh?

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Btw, i developed a new approach. I call it the, "self-replicating extra-chromosomal circular" approach.

ooo, i'm so scientific, eh?

:D :) :lol: :P

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I've practiced patterns and basics using the signwave approach and I'll admit now, I don't like it, but that's me. Imagine you are doing your basics parallel to a white wall. Now imagine you have a long pencil firmly embedded(blunt side in) in your ear. As you walk, and as your feet come together your head and body rise then as you step out and execute your move you drop down a few inches, The pencil projecting from your ear would trace something similar to a sine wave (maybe) along the wall.

IT may increase power(the drop...not the pencil), but I'm not convinced. My main objection was that it was practised quite slowly, rythmically and not with power, with funny give-away breathing noises. Also it was practised indiscriminately. I can see the sense of dropping the body into a lunging punch or low block. But the club I was visiting also dropped down when executing a rising block...it just don't add up!

I never really saw the value of the sine movement. In the front stance, one can develop great power on blocks and strikes by simply making sure that your basic mechanics are correct: front leg bent, back leg locked, shoulders square, feet "on the railroad tracks", etc.

• 4 months later...

The Sin wave is a technique used in ITF. Older oractitioners may know it as the hip flick or drawing the circle on the wall.

The basic concept behind the Sin wave is that there are 3 levels - Low, Neutral and High

The Sin wave starts when you get ready for the attack, say a middle section front punch, as you rise you bring the reaction hand back and start to prepare to execute the punch when you are at 'high'

You then drop all your weight back into the neutral position whilst giving the punch. This is said to add power to the punch and should be mastered.

A machine can do the work of 50 men, no machine can do the work of one extraordinary man though

It's what happens when there's open gym:

A kid will bring a boom box to initiate either bag-beating, musical forms practice, etc. It's called a "kick" (bassdrum, kickdrum): the initial 50-100 Hertz reverberation in it's isolated/basic form is a high-volume sine-wave moving through the air that deafens everyone in the gym.

Typically, sine-waves have a strong attack, decay, and are short-lived unless it's a dropping effect featured in some techno tracks.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."