• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Am I too old?

Firebison

As all have said, your not too old. I started when I was 34 with my son. Six years later I'm still training and my son is in the Navy doing his own thing. We trained together for almost five years before he had to follow his own path. I think my wife thought I would give it up after Michael (son) went his own way. WRONG! :) I still love it and just achieved my Shodan this past June. Now the training has really started. :) If you can do it. It's a great way for father and son to bond.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too old. I've just started at 35, 8 months after having a baby.

I started taking my 4 year old to a Karate lesson and it looked so much fun thought I should have a try myself. One evening a week I do an hour or circuit and core body strenght exercise with them, followed by hour and a half or Karate plus 30 mins of self defence. It's great fun :)

After Christmas when I'm a bit fitter will add in another session.

Never too old! Karate is a 'Art' its about perfecting and learning about oneself in the end.. age is not a issue,.. you dont have to be a great athlete to be a great martial artist, you will understand what i mean when you get into training..good luck

It depends on the club. If you can find a club that will let you progress at your rate and do the activities that won't hurt you, you will be fine and can still benefit greatly from martial arts. The range of martial arts is wide enough to accommodate any age.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

• 1 month later...

Where I train there are people of all ages. Including some old guy with white hair, he must be at least 50.

Of course, some people just use age as an excuse, like my father who complains about walking up the stairs!

A lot of people ask the question "Am I too old?"

My answer is always "too old for what?"

Are you too old to go out and win that world championships.... yes, you will have more of a struggle then a fit 20 year old.

Are you too old to learn something new and have a good time.... certainly not.

Go for it!

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

A lot of people ask the question "Am I too old?"

My answer is always "too old for what?"

Are you too old to go out and win that world championships.... yes, you will have more of a struggle then a fit 20 year old.

I'm almost 45 years old and have won a few senior world championships so there's ample competition opportunities even at my age level.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com