• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Am I too old?

Firebison

I brought my 5 year old son to watch a Karate class and he really seemed anxious to try it. The instructor was highly recomended by reputable word of mouth, so I trust his advice. However, I was a little let down when the instructor told me that the class would be so much more benificial for my son if I were to take class with him. I am a 35 year old Firefighter/Paramedic who is in good shape, so i feel like I could benefit from the training, but I almost felt like he was after more money. Like I said though, this seems very unlikely since he was so highly recomended by other students whom I know personally.

I must admit that I have been thinking about little else lately and have a sense of excitement about getting started. I've always wanted to get involved in martial arts, but missed the boat many times over. Am I too old to really get involved? Should I enroll just for my son's sake? Any advice for would be greatly appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I too old to really get involved?

No, i have instructed people as old as their 70's... and not tai chi. Granted, it might be harder for you to grasp some things, but you'll find other things much easier to grasp. Considering your career, i gather you'll have a pretty good grasp of how to handle the adrenal surge. This is a 'huge' advantage, as you'll eventually find out.

Should I enroll just for my son's sake?

obviously since you're interested in learning, it's not 'merely' for your son's sake. ;)

Any advice for would be greatly appreciated.

To be blunt, just because he's being referred to you by his students doesn't guarantee he's offering a quality product. After all, they are students...

You didn't provide any real information anyone here could work with. You didn't indicate the style, the instructor, the school or location, whether he is presenting contracts or allows for month-to-month, what his rates are, if he charges for belt tests, if so how much, if there are any hidden costs, how many pages any contract may be, if you are going to be in a seperate class or in the same class as your child, what the demographics are of the classes (ages, amount), how many classes a month you can attend (or that he provides), whether the hours are accommodating, how long each session is, if the instructor teaches the classes himself, or has his students teach while he sits in his office and counts his money, whether he has any associations, etc.

As you can see, all you presented was the predicament, without any basis in setting. We really have nothing to go by.. and we don't know your friends, his students, so we cannot gauge the value of their referrals.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Thanks for the reply. The style is Shotokan and the cost is $90/ month or $140/ month for both my son and I. No contracts and unlimited classes held four times a week. The instructor is in Tampa Florida and part of the Christian Karate Association. I can attend with or without my son, but I will be there regardless as it is not a place to drop him off for daycare. There are two one hour classes each day and the instructor teaches everyday except for Mondays, which is handled by another black belt student. The classes seem to have a wide age group, although I may be the only 35 year old white belt in the bunch. The references were friends first. I only found out they were students after showing an intrest for my son so I feel they are pretty reliable. I may have rambled on too long in my first post. I like to feel that I'm intelegent enough to know when I'm being taken for a ride, my main question is about getting started at my age. Should I sit by and encourage my son from the sidelines or get more involved even though I'm closer to 40 than 30? :)

Short answer for "Am I too old".

NO

Long answer:

Not at all. I know a guy that started in his mid-forties and he is now mid-sixties. This guy is as tough as nails. There are a lot of people who start at your age and do extremely well. No more regrets, just get out there and try it. If you don't you will probably be second guessing yourself again in a few years.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

The instructor has a valid point that your son will gain more insight into the art if you study with him, mainly because while you're at home you will be able to present these insights. My recommends, though, are to not discuss the art with your son (or in front of your son) 'outside' of class unless he brings it up, otherwise he may get burned out or disinterested and feel it's more for you and not for him. As always, the kids want to be the center of attention. ;)

Another recommend is to relinquish your parent authority while in the classroom. Allow the instructor to teach, while you learn, and your son learns. Don't try to correct your son if the teacher is there to participate and assist. Allow the teacher to 'teach' the class, although there is absolutely nothing wrong with assisting your child or encouraging him to 'behave.'

Frankly, i think it will be good for both of you. Not merely because you'll both have an opportunity to learn an art, but because both of you will be spending quality time together and in the process 'bonding' by sharing the same field of knowledge at comparable levels.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Your not to old, but I have a very unpopular opinion about this. Make sure that your son isn't to young.

We normally don't accept children under 6. They need to have more of an understading of what it's all about.

No you are not too old. I'm a 30 year old red belt (2nd gup/kyu). When I started, I couldn't even touch my toes (5 years ago). But I worked through it. I can do splits and all. But the mental benifits have made a big difference for me. My nephew is in it now (my second youngest nephew). He's 5.

I have also seen people as old as 70 years old in the arts (just starting out). In my current dojang, theres a 60 year old 2nd dan that puts me through .... umm stuff. She's tough at times. There's some stuff she can't do (like kick high) but in self defense stuff, she regularly kicks my butt.

So, don't say you are too old till you try it ;)

Laurie F

No, you are definitely not too old.

I started MA two years ago at 45, 6 months after my daughter and son started. It's great for bonding with your kid, a shared experience. In my case, they are one higher rank than I. I think it gives them confidence to be able to teach me something.