• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Passed grading: 4th Kyu!

I made my 4th Kyu today under sensei's Kanazawa, Nobuwaka and Mirawaki! :karate: :brow:

I wanted to ask how much harder it is to grade for 3rd kyu than the other belts, because I'm actually quite scared about reaching brown belt. Not failing, but making brown belt and then not being able to progress because I get stuck at brown belt.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats, that's quite impressive. What an honor to be graded under those excelent karate-ka. Usually I think, it is much more difficult to grade at the brownbelt level. I remember my 6th, 5th, and 4th kyu were surprisingly easy, but my 3rd kyu test lasted around 6 hours and was very extensive. It cooled down around 2nd kyu, and 1st kyu still wasn't as hard as my 3rd kyu test. I'm sure my shodan test will be much more difficult.

"You all come from different instructors, so as I look around the room I may see many different

ways of preforming this kata, however, if you are turning left and I turn right, we have a problem."

-Renshi Thomas Apsokardu (Godan, Okinawa Kenpo Karate Kobudo Koryu Kan)

Matthew Sullivan

I just recently got 2nd kyu, and let me tell you after enduring the 3rd kyu test 2nd was a breeze. Once you experience what to expect you can better train yourself for what is to come

"Whatever you do, do from the heart, as for the Lord and not for others. -Colossians 3:23

• 1 month later...
I made my 4th Kyu today under sensei's Kanazawa, Nobuwaka and Mirawaki! :karate: :brow:

I wanted to ask how much harder it is to grade for 3rd kyu than the other belts, because I'm actually quite scared about reaching brown belt. Not failing, but making brown belt and then not being able to progress because I get stuck at brown belt.

kanazawa eh?

I'm in a diff branch, we had him come by a few times.

Im testng 4 this wed.

*crosses fingers*

• 4 weeks later...

congrats on your promotion!

I have to say that (at least in my style) 3rd kyu tests are a BIG deal. My test was spanned over about 2 weeks of classes which was extremely nerve-racking as well as exhausting.

You should keep in mind too that your belt is just something that holds your pants up. Rank shouldn't be the most important thing in your training. Making promotions quickly is not necessarily a good thing. You should focus more on your overall training and improvement and leave it up to your sensei to decide when you are ready to move up. Just stick with it and don't get discouraged! :wink: