• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Focus execises.

I would greatly appreciate if you would share some of your exercises that helps developing focus. Thank you :)

Extraordinary abilities can only come from extraordinary effort

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you mean on a large or small scale? Do you want to develop the ability to focus on a small target, such as a hand pad, or the ability to focus on the teacher standing in front of the class, or the ability to focus on one’s surroundings?

or do you want something to help you help people to just genrally focus. cuz i have a good one

If i had to choose between karate and everything else, I would choose karate so i could beat up whoever made me make the decision and have everything else

This one is great for kids. Since that’s mostly what I teach, here ya go.

The game of nothing.

This will not only train your students to focus it will become a favorite of the students and the parent alike.

First you must give the rules. The game begins when I say, “the game begins now.”

The game is over when I say, “the game is over”. Then you must quiz them to see if they understand. Is it over when you say, “the game is now over”? Give other options, i.e. over now, game finished.

They must sit with legs crossed, eyes closed and their hands one their stomachs palms facing them; finger spread out make a triangle with thumbs and index fingers. And most important they can’t flinch. (Demonstrate flinching) They cannot move their hands for any reason. Not to scratch, wipe sweat. Etc.. No reason. When the game is over tell them they have to come to attention stance by the time you count to 3. (This is to see who falls asleep, and some actually will, they just don’t win.)

After you start the play of the game, you try to get them out. I walk around the room and the student’s who peak thru their eye’s are out. I’ll wave my hand in their face, and they look at me, it’s so obvious. Then I say things to get them to move their hands. Tell them they are feeling a little itch just behind their ears and describe it in detail, make them want to scratch. I will them make loud noises to try to get them to flinch. But just a few, and make it a surprise. or tell them they are about to hear a loud bang (body shield slapped flat on the tile, clappers banging together.) and then don[‘t do it. Another way to get them out is, say the game is finished (not the key phrase “the game is over”. Let it go on till you feel it’s good enough (build their time with experience) Mine only last about tem minutes.

When you finish say, “The game is over, 1,2,3” and see who is listening and stands at attention. Give rewards or praise.

I put all my personality into this one and my kids and parents love it. Then I ask them to play the nothing game in the car for the ride home, it gives the parents a nice quiet trip home, and they even can use it on long car trips. Good feedback on this one, have fun with it and let me know how it works.

place clever martial arts phrase here

scottnshelly

"the ability to focus on the teacher standing in front of the class, or the ability to focus on one’s surroundings" Mainlny these things :)

Goju 4 Life

hit me! not litterary tho hehe

Sensei Rick

wow thats a very nice exercise, how old are the students you play this game with?

Extraordinary abilities can only come from extraordinary effort

• 3 weeks later...

I don't teach anyone below the age of 12, mainly because what I teach is focused on combatives, however tenager are worse then 5 year-olds sometimes especially when you have a class full of teenage girls. Scary! lol

I usually teach meditations, body shifting skills, ukemi & blocking/trapping techniques ate the first few levels. Basic self-defense root-work. Here is the fun part, I speand 15 to 20 minutes on meditation. I have them practice visiualization exercise. Basic formate...

Have them learn to 'empty their mind of contious verbalised thought," focus on their breathing for a few minutes about 2 works well. Now have them start by seeing only a single ball of light like a single star in the sky. The star then will begin moving in a circle, but don't verbalize the command (say the action with your mind) then the ring of light created by the moving start becomes a ball. Have them practice changing the shape, texture & element of the ball without automaticly saying the ball will do this or that.

Basicly its a form of self-hypnosis/meditation that will build the contious into focusing automaticly. Thus, I'm teaching stuff they'll pick up later, in the dan levels but have the root work for now. Plus it's great for the ADD ADHD kids.

Later,

Ron

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!