• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to Martial Arts - could use some help

Hey all,

I've recently considered pursuing martial arts. However, I'm lost as to which ones I should consider.

(I'm a 16 year old male, about 5'11 if that info will make any difference...)

I guess I could provide what I'm looking for:

-Looking for a martial art more on the "practical" and "realistic" spectrum

-For self-defense

-Useful in real-life situations (ie - "street fighting"- prefer not to use this term because it seems to be very conflicting)

-I would like to hit and get hit, so as to add reality and understanding of how it is used (in a productive sense).

-Increase self-discipline

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

All anyone can do is provide their opinions, based on preferences. The better route would be for you to examine schools on your own. Find out what schools are available in your area, what they charge, any additional costs (belt tests, etc), any contract terms (preferably month-to-month), availability of classes, size of classes, styles instructed, sparring/competition/training terms, and whether their instructors are qualified or not (collect names, ranks, credentials, associations). If you collect this information and present it here, we may be able to assist you in making a reasoned choice. But most of all, you need to find out if you 'like' the instructors and students at each particular school. If you feel uncomfortable, don't find yourself respecting them, or feel as if you're free will is being sucked right out of you, put a big red X on that school and move onto the next one. On the other hand, if you find a school or instructor that intrigues you, by all means present your thoughts on this to us as well.

You're shopping, so don't be afraid or intimidated out of shopping. What you purchase is not a car, nor a leather jacket, it is a service that will have a lifelong impact on what you do, and who you become. It's not even remotely a small investment, as it is not merely money, but time and 'self' and you should absolutely NOT let some instructor blow smoke in your face, or try to do a sales pitch on you.

Will chat more later when you collect some info. :)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Some good advice. Here some from me.

Avoid the following:

1. Storefront Windows filled with trophies. If you want the real deal for real life situations, avoid schools that teach you to fight with points.

2. More colors of belts than you can count on one hand. Traditional Karate only has White Green, Brown, and Black Belt. When Karate came over from Asia, money got in the way.

3. Any claims of an American having higher than an 8th degree black belt. There are more 10th Dan Americans than in all of Japan and Okinawa.

Look in your phone book and see whats around your area. Let us know, and we can help you out more.

My advice would be: look for a good instructor, not style. You can find the greatest (so called) style, but if the instructor is bad, it will be useless.

You also have to be comfortable with the school. When I first started, I didn't know (you know what) about MA. But my first school just "felt right" (I found it after searching several schools). So I stayed. My gut feeling was right.

Laurie F

All great advice. As karatekid says, there is no bad style but a lot of bad schools and instructors out there. Do your research and make an informed decision. :)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

All the previous advice about becoming a knowledgble "consumer" is very wise and should be taken to heart.

This may sound a bit flippant, but I believe it presents a good strategy to get started. Once you have "eliminated" the truely "bad" schools in your area... open the phone book, "X" out the bad ones, get a dart, step back 8 feet or so and throw the dart into the open phone book. Go join the school it lands cloest to. Life is simple.

Some good advice. Here some from me.

Avoid the following:

1. Storefront Windows filled with trophies. If you want the real deal for real life situations, avoid schools that teach you to fight with points.

2. More colors of belts than you can count on one hand. Traditional Karate only has White Green, Brown, and Black Belt. When Karate came over from Asia, money got in the way.

3. Any claims of an American having higher than an 8th degree black belt. There are more 10th Dan Americans than in all of Japan and Okinawa.

I agree with Number 1, but not really Number 2. Just because a style has 12 belt ranks before Black does not make it inherently bad, though it is often the case. And #3, there are plenty of good American martial artists. Ed Parker (Hawaiian, technically American, right?), current Kenpo Grandmaster Larry Tatum. This last statement is just ridiculous. So people that are American shouldn't be promoted past 8th?

There are also three times more Americans than Japanese/Okinawans, and plenty more interest in the lifetime 'study' of the martial arts in the U.S. than in Japan. But, otherwise i will agree... plenty more people in the U.S. falsely claiming expertise. You make a false claim in Japan/Okinawa, you'll be tested and disgraced. You make a false claim here, and everyone wants to buy your videos. :roll:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

You're going to get a lot of Biased oppinions.

Striking arts, which seem like something you wantm would be what I'd go for. If you have long legs, start using them :).

TKD, Kung Fu (depending on the school nowadays), Tang Soo Do, WTF TKD, Some Karate schools, and a few others head up your options. There are a lot of striking arts. I'd start google searching them and talking to people who you know ar ein amrtial arts. Often times instructors talk about other instructors in the area, weather it be good or bad.

Such as the guy who randomly got a 4th degree blackbelt, that if eel I could beat at yellowbelt.. lol.

Anyways.

Best of luck, let us know if you find a school and please give us all the info you can!

Needing to focus...

Ryokeen wrote:

TKD, Kung Fu (depending on the school nowadays), Tang Soo Do, WTF TKD, Some Karate schools, and a few others head up your options

Sorry but I don't think WTF taekwondo should be included on your list. This guy wants a striking art realistic for street defence. I don't think point sparring based martials arts are what's best for him.